Fan Identification?

Sean Campbell

Hello All

I’ve got something rather interesting here. It definitely seems to be of Lundell (IC or Sprague) origins, but I have no idea what it really is. It is equipped with a 220 volt induction motor without brushes. The traditional Lundell cage is present, but made of steel rather than brass. I have heard this could have been an export model or possibly made oversees under license. Anyone know what this is or when it was made?

20AA4715-A68D-4993-8905-925CA350AF22.jpeg

8BB88536-6E33-4D06-AFF2-F3EDCC749EBF.jpeg

• Like 2

Lundell AC desk fan models were marketed 1895-1902 with brushed motors. It is clearly stated in 1903 electrical trade the Sprague/Lundell AC model was discontinued for the 03 season. Being your fan has no brushes, taking a stab at it would be just that, a stab.  I don't call a stab definitive answer. Sorry, that is not much help. My stab would be an overseas model. Riker had an AC late 90s similar to Lundell's AC, but there are no electrical trade images of the Riker from the back of the fan that I am aware of.

Thanks, but I am dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to foreign fans. And my IMPRESSION is that is a foreign fan. 

Fact...there was a time back around the turn of the 19th American manufactured fans were the cat's meow. 

Thanks for your guesses guys! 

Im definitely leading to overseas as well. I actually managed to track down that Riker add, but noticed the gen one Lundell pancake Motor was paired with the base seen on Riker DCs later. So I think we can possibly eliminate that. Along with AEG I’ve been wondering a bit about Bergmann due to that fan found years ago in Egypt...

14 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

From Holland?

Louis, why do you say Holland? Did EMI produce something similar to this? Very interested to know!

2 hours ago, Sean Campbell said:

Louis, why do you say Holland? Did EMI produce something similar to this? Very interested to know!

Base looks familiar to one I was following years ago and it was from Holland.  The cage is what throws me off?

Looks like the drop ring
joints are wrapped (tied
together) with smaller
gauge wires.

Screenshot_20220318-125010_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5bba8d8f9ca502967b653811d921d45d.jpg

Screenshot_20220318-124641_Drive.thumb.jpg.bf1f0dbace01f5b060f5018c3e733c9e.jpg

Edited by Jim Kovar

2 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

I think Jim nailed it.

Sprague/Lundell announces in 1903 The AC model pictured below and in 02 electrical trade was removed from the market.  Beyond that, despite what I "think", I can't validate. 

FWIW.......Sprague announces in 1903 removal of the 15" and 18" desk fans. 

SpragueLundell03.v1.jpg

sprague6.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Beyond 1902 to the best of my knowledge Sprague/Lundell desk & bracket fan motors are advertised in the states specific to direct current. 

I stand corrected in the fact that Sprague makes mention in some electrical trade beyond 03 of alternating current fan motors, but no specifics or images so far. 

In the 07 article Sprague just introduced their first optional desk & bracket DC desk fan with fan head pivot. They offer an AC that would do the same. Now, what did those AC desk & bracket models look like, and did they manufacture it? 

Sprague07.v1.jpg

Sprague07-2.v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

Very interesting!

It really makes me wonder if it is a post 1902 Lundell AC. 

To Jim’s point the cage seems to be the exact same construction as the earlier cages, just with steel rather than brass. Blades and base look the same too. 

I just find it odd there’s no motor tag. Too bad the catalogues don’t have a later AC model pic.

2 hours ago, Sean Campbell said:

Very interesting!

It really makes me wonder if it is a post 1902 Lundell AC. 

To Jim’s point the cage seems to be the exact same construction as the earlier cages, just with steel rather than brass. Blades and base look the same too. 

I just find it odd there’s no motor tag. Too bad the catalogues don’t have a later AC model pic.

I just thoroughly read Sprague/Lundell offerings for 03-04 in electrical trade. Strictly direct current models.  Can't rule out a foreign made Lundell, or one in its likeness.

"Can't rule out a foreign made Lundell, or one in its likeness."

For comparison, Antique Fan Parts ...

https://antiquefanparts.com/12-german-dhr-interior-conduit-lundell-sprague-design-nickle-blade-guard-cage/

forget the cage and the rear motor cap in the photos, but look at:  a) the base;   b) particularly, the front motor cap oiler et cetera.....

It looks like a brushless AC Lundell to me. I would stand corrected by Jim regarding his closer inspection of the guard wire mounting being a wire wrap, not spot weld. I just can't validate an AC Lundell like Sean's through the US time period electrical trade. I was even surprised to see Sprague was advertising AC models after 1902. Sprague advertises in a brief paragraph in the 1905 American Electrician desk & bracket desk fans for direct and alternating currents. No images of the AC Sprague model. Were they ashamed of them?