Recent Emerson Ceiling Fan Restorations - DC Longnose & Capacitor Roundnose

Derek Warnecke

I wanted to share some pics from two rather unique Emerson ceiling fans that I've restored so far this year.

The first is a ~1924 Emerson 45041 DC Longnose ceiling fan, complete with the original snap switch.  I rewound the resistance coil stack with new Kanthal wire, adding some extra resistance for Medium and Low speed.  I'll find out next month just how much slower the motor runs on these speeds with blades mounted.  The motor runs very quietly and pulls just 45 Watts on High, unloaded.  The paint used is Rustoleum Satin Black, with Satin clear coat.

The second is a 1938 Emerson 85641-AK Roundnose ceiling fan, also with the original Levolier pull switch.  This fan was made in an era when Emerson was capacitor-izing most of their models, and this was their first and only oil bath ceiling fan model to use this motor type.  Perhaps as a cost-cutting measure, the 1941 Roundnose returned to a shaded pole motor.  The original "sardine can" capacitor seemed to work fine, but as a precautionary measure I replaced it with a modern CBB61 capacitor, housed within a 3D printed case that I designed to match the look of the original sardine can.  If anyone needs one of these made, I will gladly print more.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this model performs, given the dramatic starting torque and higher High speed than your typical Roundnose.  Running on a Variac, the motor will start up at just 20 Volts.  I'm looking forward to trying it out using a modern Smart speed controller, usually a non-starter (literally) for antique shaded pole ceiling fans.  The paint used is Rustoleum Satin Dark Walnut, with Satin clear coat.

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Stan Adams said:

Super fine!

Thank you, sir!  Looking forward to installing them both next month and finally checking out your collection as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey folks, I thought I’d follow up with some installation photos.  I couldn’t be happier with how these turned out.

FB0CA30C-E4E9-443E-9F01-45484C7C991E.jpeg

AC1C2CCC-6E0A-4EE7-BF2A-BC2B2A13D917.jpeg

B77FA054-D591-4007-8AE1-5E854009B78A.jpeg

165BC41B-457C-48C6-A2BC-9AE7C3CC7DD7.jpeg

F421F1BD-2723-4E32-AFFD-03B011763E3A.jpeg

• Like 6

Here’s a video of them running on all speeds.

Edited by Derek Warnecke

Wow, stunning.

That 30 inch emerson in the background--is that a 6 inch fitter on that? The globe on that is huge! I have 3 emerson 49641 fans that have that massive fitter and I never knew what went on there originally.  

On 4/28/2022 at 8:11 PM, Andrew White said:

Wow, stunning.

That 30 inch emerson in the background--is that a 6 inch fitter on that? The globe on that is huge! I have 3 emerson 49641 fans that have that massive fitter and I never knew what went on there originally.  

Yep, it's a factory 6" fitter.  I believe this is a hotel model fan, with a 3 speed snap switch mounted up top.

I believe the 49641 has the same fitter as this one.  Those two-part deco shades are gorgeous if you can find a nice intact example.

I've had a rather rare Emerson 47641 48" chain-hung ceiling fan in my possession for about four years now and haven't found a home for it yet.  I'm mighty tempted to restore it in French Gray and install it (chain-hung, of course) in my dining room with a 6" fitter to mount the current skyscraper globe.  The only thing holding me back is having three ceiling fans in the same room in the front of my house (too many, too busy?).

On 4/29/2022 at 6:08 AM, Mel Lagarde said:

Derek 

You did a wonderful job with these fans.  Solid restorations and am glad to see them hanging and being enjoyed.  

Thanks, Mel.  I was also very grateful to have Seth Anderson around for some top-notch help hanging these beasts.  Not an easy task, particularly on a high sloped ceiling.

Edited by Derek Warnecke

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

How did you anchor them to the ceiling ?? and how big of a mess did that create ???

I lucked out, since both of the spots where these fans were installed were previously occupied by other antique ceiling fans of mine.  In my bedroom there was a 1941 Roundnose (shaded pole motor) and in the living room there was a chrome Hunter R52.  The Roundnose used the large factory J-hook and the DC Longnose used a Hunter Original sloped ceiling kit in the living room.  This was a tough one, as Seth had to hold the motor steady while I threaded the tiny pin through the bracket and popped in the cotter pin to hold it in place.