NEW CAGE DESIGN FOR ALL BRASS 8" WESTINGHOUSE

Ted Kaczor

Who ever worked on those little brittle cages knows how fragile they are, especially where the “S” wires go through the back square ring and are pinned on the other side. There's a paper-thin brass in the back ring around holes and any reshaping force will break it. Also, the "S" wires usually breaking right at the hole in the back ring. I repair and built many of those cages but this time I decided to redesign the cage making it more resistant to breakings, and make it more attractive by changing ring to round brass, adding one more ring for added integrity, and wrap all S wires. Also redesigned struts for simpler and startler ones (heavier gage brass), check pictures and post your opinion?

100_2467 (2).JPG

100_2469 (2).JPG

100_2459 (2).JPG

• Like 4

It’s such a dilema. On the one hand it isn’t original, but on the other hand it’s flawless and looks amazing with the fan!! Well done.

You know you’ve done a good job when you can make a ‘purist’ second guess how important it really is for it to be original.

Here’s an odd ball comment.   I like the idea behind your redesigned cage.  Several reasons.  For one, it leaves no ambiguity that it’s a replacement cage which I think most collectors would like to know.   Next is an idea 💡and the reason for the photo.  The cage on this fan is my favorite cage of all time. It’s got everything going for it.  Cast brass spreaders, cool struts, cool 90 degree turn backs on the S wires, etc. What I’m getting at is this, design some sort of a replacement cage that collectors would rather have, more so than a perfect copy of an original.  But,  if a fan is a high dollar fan then a perfect copy would seem more appropriate.  image.thumb.jpeg.fb4a78531e5bcbcb0f9202416ac7527f.jpeg

Functionally it's a massive upgrade, I have two on a wall with breaks right at a spoke junction. As a cage, it's beautiful. Historically, the later generation of the Whirlwinds went to a rounded back ring, albeit in steel. Aesthetically, on the small all brass, it may overwhelm the fan a little. All in all though, it's a nice design.

So far, all the comments are original and pointing on totally differnt aspects of the subject matter. I'm extremely happy to see already three differnt view points.

• Like 1