McGraw-Edison ZERO motor?

Merle Hall

I have a McGraw-Edison ZERO Model 20487 box fan that the motor just hums loudly, but doesn't spin even with a little help.  I've done some searching of local electric motor shops and internet, but haven't found a replacement.  I did find this community in my search, though, so if anyone has some advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Merle

WHEN YOU SAY IT DOESNT SPIN WITH HELP, DOES THAT MEAN IF YOU SPIN IT WITH YOUR FINGER IT STOPS AND DOESNT KEEP GOING? OR IS IT "STUCK"? ..IF THE LATTER THEN IT NEEDS TO BE OILED.  A PICTURE OF THE FAN MOTOR TOO WOULD HELP, YOU COULD HAVE A BROKEN WIRE  ALSO, BUT USUALLY A STUCK MOTOR NEEDS OIL

"YOU SPIN IT WITH YOUR FINGER IT STOPS AND DOESNT KEEP GOING?" - yes, that.  And "spin" would mean it would turn only maybe 1/2 a rotation before it quit.

Yes, I had oiled it.  Maybe I hadn't waited long enough for it to sink in.

I reassembled enough to test without the blade and the shaft does spin and it makes less noise. (I had disassembled assuming I'd have to take the motor with me to find one somewhere...)  I'll completely reassemble and test further.

Sorry, not great photos.  Didn't realize they weren't in focus.

20220510_153024.jpg

20220510_153046.jpg

Well, must've just been dry as it runs just fine.  (he says sheepishly)  I just used some light oil I had on hand, though.  Is there something in particular I should be using for this sort of thing?

The only other thing that bothers me is that the power cord just goes through a hole at the bottom.  Nothing really to keep it in place and no evidence that there ever was.  I think I'll see if I can find a grommet that fits the hole (1/2").  Will probably someday want to replace the power cord anyway as it's starting to show its age.

Thanks!

Merle

there is a zoomspout oil some of the guys use, dont use 3 in 1 oil, i use a good motor oil on mine. you can try to put a gromet where the wire goes in the motor if it gives you comfort...dont use compressed air in volume to clear the motor dust, it can loosen wires and cause problems if insulation gets damaged. yes those motors do need to be oiled and it should be fine..good luck ! 

• 1 month later...

I have the same exact fan, I had gotten it from goodwill when I worked there years ago and I oiled it up when I got it home and that fan is my best running fan I have as far as my box fans go, its fairly quiet and it's got a spindown time from high of about 75 seconds.

Edited by Levi Mevis