I need a Vornado guru.

John Nyman

So I have this favorite 12D1 Vornado and the motor is badly hurt...I've made like 2 contacts but no help so far...is there a Vornado wizard in this group?

9 hours ago, John Nyman said:

So I have this favorite 12D1 Vornado and the motor is badly hurt...I've made like 2 contacts but no help so far...is there a Vornado wizard in this group?

Hi John. When you say the motor is badly hurt, can you describe what is actually wrong? That makes me think it has been dropped or damaged in some physical manner. 

9 hours ago, Andrew White said:

David Allen made a great video of him rewinding a 10D1

Thanks Andrew, for sharing my video! I hope it helps John out.

Well, the motor may not be original...but what went south were the two plastic bearing keepers on either end of the shaft. They seem to keep the rotor centered while the bearings are held by these metal "fingers" for lack of a better term...and way it's the plastic keepers which are shot. Honestly I think I need a new/used original motor as there is little chance of these plastic buggers being available.

A member put me with a guy who knows a bit about these motors and he said it was not original, but it mounted perfectly and ran well for years and it sure behaved like an original...or someone along the way did a darn good job of making this motor fit...I baffled

zvorando6.jpg

zvornado1.jpg

That's definitely an original motor. As for the bearings, I can't speak to that, but I guarantee someone here has some ideas!

9 hours ago, David Allen said:

Hi John. When you say the motor is badly hurt, can you describe what is actually wrong? That makes me think it has been dropped or damaged in some physical manner. 

Thanks Andrew, for sharing my video! I hope it helps John out.

No problem David, thanks for making your videos!

I hope you're right! The bearings may be alright with careful cleaning and re-packing but it's those plastic centering bits that have me worried. The one pictured is the "good" one, the other is much worse with only half remaining. The fan had been running noisily for some time then something let loose and I could hear a chunk of something bouncing around inside, at all speeds. So I decided to pull it apart and that chunk was a part of one of those plastic "keepers", for lack of a better term. I can't rebuild either of them as the broken bits are lost. I've thought about fabricating a replacement but as it keeps the rotor centered...well no solutions have come to mind yet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially as it was a daily runner in my antique store....and it's getting hot here in Virginia.

zvornado2.jpg

10 hours ago, John Nyman said:

I hope you're right! The bearings may be alright with careful cleaning and re-packing but it's those plastic centering bits that have me worried. The one pictured is the "good" one, the other is much worse with only half remaining. The fan had been running noisily for some time then something let loose and I could hear a chunk of something bouncing around inside, at all speeds. So I decided to pull it apart and that chunk was a part of one of those plastic "keepers", for lack of a better term. I can't rebuild either of them as the broken bits are lost. I've thought about fabricating a replacement but as it keeps the rotor centered...well no solutions have come to mind yet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially as it was a daily runner in my antique store....and it's getting hot here in Virginia.

I'm pretty sure that is an original motor. It's hard to understand what I'm seeing with the bearings. It looks like the rear bearing on the motor shaft is a ball bearing, but the front bearing is something (still in the housing) is something else. If it were mine, I might try to make a bushing to go around the bearing and center it in the housing.  However, that style motor is still available. The issue is that Vornado drills and taps holes into the sides of the motor core, in order to mount it in the fan housing. Whatever motor you get will have to be suitably modified for the mountings to work. No motor maker sells a motor with holes tapped in the sides like that. 

This site has a lot of HVAC parts including small motors like this. You can search for 1/25 HP 1550 RPM motors and see quite a few. As said above, you will have to make a modification to the motor for mounting. https://www.zoro.com/dayton-direct-drive-motor-125-hp-replacement-for-dayton-1hkl2c-1hkl3c-1hkl9c-1hla1c-41nl02/i/G6298997/ 

Note very well - the motor in the link above is just an example of what that site has. You'll need to measure the diameter of your original motor, the shaft dimensions, rotation direction and all other parameters before deciding on a motor. I have ordered from them many times and they are a good company. 

Edited by David Allen

Thanks David and sorry for being away...covid actually hit both at home and at my store but things are getting better?? Anyway, I don't want to try to tap three mounts for a new motor...I could maybe do it and have thought about it but maybe fabricating a bushing is the way to go. As time allows I can get more pics of the bearings but I think they are ok....just a little dry. I don't know right off what material I could use to make a bushing though...any ideas?

6 hours ago, John Nyman said:

Thanks David and sorry for being away...covid actually hit both at home and at my store but things are getting better?? Anyway, I don't want to try to tap three mounts for a new motor...I could maybe do it and have thought about it but maybe fabricating a bushing is the way to go. As time allows I can get more pics of the bearings but I think they are ok....just a little dry. I don't know right off what material I could use to make a bushing though...any ideas?

There are quite a few makers of plastic bushings. You might start here. If there is one with the correct inside-diameter, and outside-diameter then you might be able to trim down the length.  https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/02560563 

• Like 1