Century CF Blades

Mark Beldin

I have picked up a couple open top Century ceiling fans. Both appear to be in very good shape. However, they did not come with blades or irons. I have sourced a couple irons and am in the process of getting some cast in brass. I could use a tracing of a blade or an original blade to use as a pattern for making new blades for these fans. My intent is to restore these and then install them in our barn home for both display and use.

Thanks,

Mark

If you haven't already gotten what you need, I should be able to provide a tracing of the blade for you.  I currently have one disassembled.

Thank goodness Robert, I was going to take one of my blades down for Mark if someone didn't step up.

Robert, If you could make a tracing that would be awesome. I have read they are tapered. Is that truly the case? I'm not sure I want to tackle the taper.

Mark,

Sorry, I did not receive a membership directory this year.  If you could provide me with your address I will be glad to send this out.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Century blade irons, with that little pin, are the bane of my existence. Great, well made fans but 90% of them have gotten a good smack in their lifetime and have sheared off the pin at best, or chipped off the whole part of the iron containing it at worst.

• Like 1

I recently grabbed a matched set of these Centuries with blades, and yes, 4/8 of the pins are sheared.  Luckily I should be able to assemble a working set for one of the fans and fix up the sheared off set.

• 2 months later...

Interesting, I put up one of those open top centuries in the Veranda of the metal barn before we enclosed part of it to create Times Past Fans shop for Paul Graves. I knew that one of the fan brackets had a sheared locating pin so I didn't run it or go to the trouble to fix it. When it got hit with a broom handle or the like , the blade would get knocked slightly out of clock and stay that way till someone realligned it visually.  One day just before an upcoming meet, a visitor reached up and snaped the speed switch, and the renegade blade was still outof clock. I was there to see it. As the rotor powered up and accelerated, the weight of the blade was moved by the centrifugal force and it slung out to perfect allignment with absolutely no vibration of the motor and ran strong and quiet. Now if only there was a way to guarantee that the bracket bolt would not subtly unscrew itself without having to check and retighten it periodically.

• Haha 1