Need Some Hunter Century 16" Input Here...

Juan Varleta

Sometimes removing blades from inside a cage can seem like a puzzle - one that I've always been able to solve with a little patience.  This 16" Hunter however, has me stumped. No matter how I angle the blades, I can't find a slot to fit one wing through that will allow me to rotate out the rest of the assembly. Can anyone offer some insight?

I did notice that this cage is assembled in two parts; the main front portion, and the cage back, which is literally hooked on to the front part with fingers curled around a wire ring of the front. (Circled in photo 2.) About the only solution I can think of is prying open the fingers enough to separate the front from the back. With just the front half, there would easily be enough leeway to work the blades out. After that, the issue would be reassembling the two cage parts and trying to artfully re-curl the wire fingers securely. (I do not have a curling iron!)

Beyond that, the only other thing I've thought of is cutting out a portion of one of the rings in the back, but I really don't want to to that.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

Juan I open those crimped hooks on the back of the cage just enough for the front cage ring to come out allowing the front & back half to separate. When done, pop it back in like an Emerson cage & close the hook with pliers.

OMG this fan is so overbuilt.  I'm convinced I could heave it down a long flight of un-carpeted stairs...and it would still work perfectly.

Hey Juan,Like Stan says take a pair of needle nose pliers or regular pliers and pull the hooks up away from the cage.They are meant to unhook similar to the Emerson cages so the rear of the cage stays attached to the motor n the front part removes for  easy blade removal and cleaning.Somewhere in that fans life someone removed the cage and crimped the hooks over thus your delemia getting the blade out of the guard assembly. 

On 5/27/2022 at 1:00 PM, Juan Varleta said:

OMG this fan is so overbuilt.  I'm convinced I could heave it down a long flight of un-carpeted stairs...and it would still work perfectly.

Yes I agree that these 1940’s Hunters are overbuilt either in the 12” or 16” versions.They run sooo smooth and the oscillation operation is just a nice smooth sweep back n forth !! Love em !! 

Just now, Jeff Rusnak said:

Yes I agree that these 1940’s Hunters are overbuilt either in the 12” or 16” versions.They run sooo smooth and the oscillation operation is just a nice smooth sweep back n forth !! Love em !! 

Also LOVE that streamlined Deco styling !! 

Paul Graves taught me that if you take a pair of players and cut (and smooth) a groove on the inside of its jaws to fit wire diameter then you can easily recrimp cages. 

Hey Jeff (and Paul,) what a groovy idea. Seriously I had a bit of concern about the re-crimp looking sloppy. I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks guys.

Hey Juan,I don’t think you’ll have any problems with the hooks as they were meant to be a little loose so you could easily remove the cage for blade cleaning plus if you leave the hooks slightly open it will make easy cage removal in the future !! That fan should clean up nice !!