Hunter 7 winger

Quentin Malzahn

Back in May on my birthday I bought this 1970s Hunter box fan on ebay in my opinion what makes this fan so special compared to other box fans of that era is that it uses 7 blades instead of 5 and plus I it has a plastic guard and a metal guard I don’t think it was the original configuration of the guards but it is still pretty unique plus its a 2 speeder

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Quentin Malzahn

Also too the front grill buzzes as well and the motor gets a little hot as well so I don’t run it too long

THAT IS PROBABLY THE WAY IT CAME, LOTS OF ENTRY LEVEL FANS IN THIS TIME FRAME THOUGHT A PLASTIC GRILLE LOOKED "FANCY" BUT THE REAR MADE DO WITH METAL GRILLES. mANNING BOWMAN, MONARCH AIRE/BERNS AIR KING AND A BUNCH OF OTHERS HAD THAT CONFIGURATION. I AM NOT SURE ON THE RUNNING HOT ISSUE. THE BLADE YOU HAVE IS THE BETTER OF THE TWO HUNTER 7 WING BLADES. THE 4 SCREW MOUNT IS A BETTER BLADE THAN THE SINGLE SCREW TYPE THAT CAME LATER... GOOD LUCK WITH IT ! EVEN THOUGH IT MOST LIKELY DOESNT HAVE OIL PORTS, TRY DRIPPING SOME OIL IN THE TWO OPEN MOTOR END CAPS AT THE ENDS OF THE SHAFTS

Actually I did put oil in it. It still runs a little hot but I don’t think it runs dangerously hot. Plus I forgot to mention when I first bought it it made a little noise before I oiled it and now it runs much quieter and the spindown is much better on it. It still draws 2.7 amps which it is rated for on high so I assume the windings are still good. Maybe it’s normal for those motors to be hot to the touch but not dangerously hot. Plus the vents on the motor are clear of dust so the airflow can cool the motor. Yeah it’s interesting how the blade gets mounted on to the motor. A rubber sleeve with a screw hole metal plate. 

• 3 weeks later...

I believe this fan uses a Shaded Pole Motor and that's why it gets hot to the touch (which was normal on box fans from that era) shaded pole motors commonly will run at temperatures between 105°F and 145°F depending on the size of the motor and how big of a blade its trying to drive.

Now if the fan was above those temperatures (say running at 185°F or higher) then you might have to be concerned about shorted windings.

I think it’s normal for those old motors to get hot to the touch. Also on my amp meter it draws its rated amps so theres no short in the motor. 

• 10 months later...

Update: I checked with the multimeter it says on high it reads about 9 to 10 ohms and on low it reads 20 to 22 ohms. Im wondering if I should be concerned about the resistance reading on the high speed because it seems like that’s a very low resistance value. IMG_0882.thumb.jpeg.7675f856f4da9e75c5859452b5510991.jpegIMG_0883.thumb.jpeg.a84ddf25c9d4190309760e3ed5be23fd.jpeg

Box fans tend to get hot, it is a lot of work to push high volumes of air at high velocity.  We used to have a nice 3blade Kenmore growing up, was a good fan and even when new it got really hot but wow did ot pump air.