Kenmore window fan wiring

Chrisj Walsh

Hi, I'm posting here on the new forum and originally posted about this window fan back around 2015.  It's been working great but I noticed that I lost the Medium Speed.  I took a look inside and found a broken wire from the switch to the motor, which must be the Medium speed.  I twisted it back together and confirmed that Medium was restored.

I was sad to see the wire insulation is in pretty bad condition and there is rust on the rear plate of the speed selector switch.  There's a harness of 4 wires each labeled with a different colored ring at the switch.  I'm guessing they each go to the windings for slow-med-fast and the white is ground.  They're all in lousy condition and was going to try splicing in new wiring. 

My question is - is this best method or is there some kind of kit available?  It would be nice to replace the switch as well - are these available?  It's three speeds in both direction with Off in the middle.  This repair will give me an opportunity to install a grounded power plug as well.

I spent some time splicing new wiring to the existing switch but one of the wires became unattached from the switch.  I didn't realize I could just push a new one inside so I began to disassemble the switch thinking I needed to solder something inside.  Live and learn.  In the process I destroyed the switch.  Could anyone direct me to a replacement?  It's three speeds forward and three speeds reverse.  The switch is a small box with a connection at all 8 corners.

It looks like the switch I need is made by Tower and is rated at 6A 120V.  I've found some for sale online (ebay) but I'm not seeing any of the reversible switches.  I guess the type I need is called Double Pole.  Please let me know if you know of a source for a new or used switch that would fit this application.  Thanks!

These reversible switches are hard to find for some reason!  I found this one on ebay but it lacks the female threads surrounding the shaft, so it won't bolt up to my fan body.

Capture.JPG

CHRIS..WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD SWITCH?   ON THE REAR SIDE YOU WILL HAVE YOUR 4 CORNERS MARKED L (FOR THE HOT)  1, 2 , 3 FOR THE SPEEDS, ON THIS SIDE S1, S2, A, B ARE USED FOR THE RETURN AND REVERSING FEATURE (ONE OF THE FOUR IS ALMOST ALWAYS EMPTY USUALLY A OR B) . THE THREADED POST SWITCHES WITH THE RETAINER NUT ARE VERY HARD TO FIND ...THIS ONE HERE WOULD REQUIRE DRILLING YOUR FAN FRAME AND TWO TINY SCREWS HOLD IT IN PLACE..... HOW BAD IS THE OLD SWITCH? 

Hi Tom, Thanks for your reply.  That's bad luck that these are so hard to find.  The switch broke when I was trying to put it back together.  I shouldn't have tried to open it up, but I didn't know any better at the time.  So, unfortunately the plastic part of the switch has completely broken, and I'm definitely needing a new switch.

I guess my best option is to modify this switch so that it fits w/o the retainer nut.  Even this switch w/o the threaded post was hard to find.  Is there a better source for these?

Thanks for all your help, Tom!  You actually corresponded with me about this fan back in 2015 just after I purchased it. https://www.afcaforum.com/forum5/39221.html

The new switch arrived and all the terminals were in the same locations as the old switch; it worked great.  You mentioned that one of the corners is almost always empty but on my fan there are 8 connections the switch, so no empty spots.  Mounting the switch with the two new screwholes went pretty smoothly and the screws are completely hidden under the knob.  Thanks again for your encouragement and guidance.

IMG_20220701_080723.JPG

IMG_20220702_115246.JPG

IMG_20220702_115311.JPG

i am glad that worked out ! yours is 1972-74 with that atomic logo on the decorative motor cover and small knobs...i am glad it is up and running!