1915 Lake Breeze restoration

David Kilnapp

Hello fan friends. Today, I finished the restoration of a fan I have always wanted - a Lake Breeze alcohol fan. The fan was covered in 75 years or more of grime and dirt (mostly nicotine) but fired right up though later, it froze up solid so I had to take it apart and clean the moving parts.

Here are some before pictures.

IMG_0730.thumb.JPG.80980a6fbdccf601be4140cfcdfe2184.JPGIMG_0702.thumb.JPG.b1b4ee71d8711823266ce2c75af23a65.JPGIMG_0738.thumb.JPG.6d89e2910d197aab65ac74dced5e8db1.JPG

IMG_9597.thumb.jpg.fc8bd932a8f06924354640f98d847a93.jpg

Here are the parts that make it run.

IMG_0959.thumb.JPG.9b406e2ffb15804e1d05bbed5465d639.JPG

I cleaned up and repainted the cage and the badge which came out rather well.

IMG_0825.thumb.JPG.fb560f14587e9bbd0f1d167484ec6d8a.JPG

Thanks to Ron Bethoney for cleaning and polishing the brass blade.

Here it is running

https://youtu.be/_tzxOoMK_Qo

IMG_0902.thumb.JPG.063f131b210ab6cbb0f8784086b61c37.JPG

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 4

Very cool fan. You did a great job on it! 👍

You actually painted that fan in your basement? If I did that my wife would kick me out of the house. Haha 

Hi Vic. Yes, my wife isn't crazy about the smell so I paint in the garage and then move it into the cellar to dry. I only painted the cage. The japanne was in great shape under all that nicotine and polished up nicely so no repaint needed.

Beautiful work on that! 

Can you run that on lamp fuel? I know alcohol burns pretty hot, don't know if lamp fuel is hot enough but I know they have odorless indoor lamp fuel. 

Runs on denatured alcohol.  I’ve used sterno on the one I had. Safer than alcohol. I set the fan on 2 bricks so I could slide the sterno can in and out to light and snuff it. Works perfectly 

It’s a neat fan to watch. Very clever mechanism. Next up is the Manhattan No. 3 restoration. Louis Luu is casting me a new spider for the blade then off to Ted Kaczor for some new wings. That’s a fun little fan!

Not cast...I'm going to CAD and print it in brass.  I will get it done this week and have it printed.  Have a great day David.  And yes, internet is back up.

The hub was a wreck but I managed to get the measurements.  I recommend printing it 101% larger to allow for sanding and polishing to get the correct profile and any artifact lines.  The 1% increase will not affect overall dimension.  The original hub was sand casted and had flashing on the edge.  The pitch is around 3 degrees.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png