R & M 5204 stator/switch wiring hookup

Edward Kowalke

I went into this fan with no intention of replacing the headwire but unfortunately it was in such poor condition (could not get ohm readings) I had no choice and also was unable to keep track of the wires I labeled during disassembly. Can someone tell me where the 3 stator wires connect on the switch? It is a 3 speed switch. 

Thank you Ed

100_6995.jpg

100_6996.jpg

You got 2 of the 3 locations correct.. They are numbered 1,2,3 on the paper where the wires go but the question is what color goes to 1,2,3 ?

I’ve had this delima before in fans Where switch was missing or head wire destroyed. There are only 6 total possibilities. Of those 6 only one will work correctly believe it or not. Just label everything and go through each one with a temp setup until it works. If it doesn’t work it will either not start, spin very slowly, or spin backwards. Only one does it spin correctly.

• 1 year later...

Hello Edward, 

I am new to restoring fans. I am about to remove the bottom cover on my 5204 and see what i find. This thread was a big help to me. 

Since you say you had to replace the head wire, would you mind telling me how difficult that was? My front cover does not come off. There is only a small "mini cover" around the rotar busing that the shaft passes through. It is held in place by several screws accessible from the inside, through the stator. Is that what yours looks like? Did you access the head wire connections on the stator by removing this "mini cover". I have a thread going right now asking for help with my first rebuild. I has a lot of photos. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

big eddie,

Just finished my 3804, thanks for the wiring info. First time I had to face a five wire switch. Fan runs great, like being in beast mode. One more question for R&M collectors. Is the neck of the fan bare as shown in the photos, or was there some sort if sleeve or bearing to cover the exposed part. By the way, the finished product.

20230823_182324.jpg

20230823_182352.jpg

20230823_182259.jpg

20230823_182034.jpg

20230823_182225.jpg