Ilg 303; 1957(ish)...

David Allen

Hi folks. I got this 303 a few months back. It is one of a pair which were removed from a church in Missouri at some point in the past. The fan is in very nice all-original condition. We didn't get the wall controls for these fans, so I built a new control box. The motor is two-speed.  Originally it had a rotary selector switch with "Off-Hi-Off-Low" positions. Even on Low, the fan would be a little too fast for close-range use in a workshop. To make it more usable, I installed a TRIAC fan speed control in addition to the motor's two-speed design.  When the motor is configured for Low speed operation, the TRIAC control is in the circuit, giving a fully and smoothly variable Low speed. When the slide is pushed all the way down, the motor transitions to High speed, with full voltage.  This results in a control panel with a "master" On-Off switch; and a slide control which gives variable low speeds; and then clicks into High at one end of its travel. 

The box is built from the least costly wood I could get, therefore it is made of different types of wood. I used Minwax Polyshades sealer to protect it. It has the "rough hewn" sort of look I like in these old industrial fans.

In the video, I demonstrate it and show how it works. 

Sincerely,

David 

IMG_0459 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0487 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0493 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0494 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0495 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0496 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0497 (Medium).JPG

Edited by David Allen
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thomas Peters said:

First class transformation! Enjoyed your video!

Thanks!  
As said this one really didn't need much transformation. It was in such nice original condition already! Just a little wiping down with mild cleaner.