Homart Cooler saved from going to scrap....

David Allen

This didn't sell at an estate sale. Couldn't let it go to scrap!

Made this video about the initial checking out, and some safety improvements.

1422827221_IMG_0529(Medium).thumb.JPG.5a277f2e44ee25d05229b29b27a847a1.JPG1203836529_IMG_0513(Medium).thumb.JPG.318b2707cb717958bda2967fbd11bbac.JPG 

Edited by David Allen
  • Like 2

THAT IS A GOOD SAVE ! ONE OF THE BEST FANS EVER MADE BUT JUST SUPER HEAVY  BUT WILL NICELY VENT OUT A DECENT SIZE HOME ON LOW SPEED . I HAVE HAD A BUNCH OVER THE YEARS BUT DUE TO WEIGH I HAVE ONE MOUNTED IN THE FRONT ROOM (A KENMORE VERSION FROM 1964-73 ) . I DONT TAKE IT OUT . I POP OFF THE REAR PLASTIC GRILLE AND REACH THROUGH AND OPEN AND CLOSE THE STORM WINDOW AND THEN PUT THE GRATE BACK ON ....YOURS IS ONE OF THE EARLIER GENERATION VERSION FROM EARLY TO MID 50S

NICE FIND! 

Great save! I have the one in my workshop which came from the family auto repair shop. It is the same fan (was two speed) & had the Sunlight Electric motor (pre-Delco & Packard). back in the 80s, I had it in my stall at the Chevy dealer. I was telling the shop foreman what a great fan it was when he said "Hey is that your fan smoking?" Talk about timing, yes it was my fan. It has had a Jack & Heintz motor on it ever since. Still gets used daily, but now its high only.

29 minutes ago, Tom Zapf said:

THAT IS A GOOD SAVE ! ONE OF THE BEST FANS EVER MADE BUT JUST SUPER HEAVY  BUT WILL NICELY VENT OUT A DECENT SIZE HOME ON LOW SPEED . I HAVE HAD A BUNCH OVER THE YEARS BUT DUE TO WEIGH I HAVE ONE MOUNTED IN THE FRONT ROOM (A KENMORE VERSION FROM 1964-73 ) . I DONT TAKE IT OUT . I POP OFF THE REAR PLASTIC GRILLE AND REACH THROUGH AND OPEN AND CLOSE THE STORM WINDOW AND THEN PUT THE GRATE BACK ON ....YOURS IS ONE OF THE EARLIER GENERATION VERSION FROM EARLY TO MID 50S

NICE FIND! 

Thanks Tom!  It is extremely well made; and heavy as you said! I don't blame you for leaving yours in place and coming up with a way to open and close the window while the fan in in place. Nice to know mine is fairly early.  The motor has what appears to be a date code from 1950 on it.

22 minutes ago, Stan Adams said:

Great save! I have the one in my workshop which came from the family auto repair shop. It is the same fan (was two speed) & had the Sunlight Electric motor (pre-Delco & Packard). back in the 80s, I had it in my stall at the Chevy dealer. I was telling the shop foreman what a great fan it was when he said "Hey is that your fan smoking?" Talk about timing, yes it was my fan. It has had a Jack & Heintz motor on it ever since. Still gets used daily, but now its high only.

Thanks Stan! That's so frustrating that your motor failed catastrophically just after you had boasted how good it was!  That sort of thing is the stuff of nightmares LOL!  One reason I put the RO41 circuit breaker in place on this one. Even if the motor did develop shorted windings for no external reason, it should not actually go up in smoke.  Good you had a motor available to use for yours, after the first one went bad. Let me guess, the centrifugal weight mechanism went bad in the original motor?

More than likely David. At that point in my life, I never tore the motor down, threw it out on the scrap pile. Needed my fan working again. 😀

• Like 1

YES NOTHING LIKE SAD TIMING ON A GOOD FAN. I CAN CLOSE THE WINDOW NO PROBLEM ON MINE BUT THE KENMORES HAVE A PLASTIC REAR ANGLED BLADE GRILLE SO I CAN POP THAT OFF AND REACH THROUGH AND OPEN AND SHUT THE STORM WINDOW AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE SEASON OR IF SERIOUS STORMS ARE COMING ....I JUST LEAVE IT THERE ALL YEAR IN THE SPARE ROOM 

• Like 1

I like the overload breaker idea! I am going to put one on my 1932 Kelvinator refrigerator. It has a Delco repulsion start motor on the open drive compressor.

Thanks David!

• Like 1