Hunter original ceiling fan

James Byerly

Bought ceiling fan off Facebook marketplace the other day it has a date of 1988 . The blades barley turn . I took it apart , the bearings had plenty of oil on them. I just wanted to verify the washers and bearings are on correctly. It has a thick washer (looks like leather)on first followed by the bearing then thick rubber washer followed  by metal washer then snap ring . I am enclosing picture. Thanks !

B2DA5754-8513-4086-9E44-4C311D60CCA1.jpeg

Everything looks ok on the bearings. I have had this same issue with a 36" model of that time period. Current draw was OK & it didn't overheat, but ran about half speed. That was about the time Hunter had outsourced stators to China & stopped making their own. Even though the fan was better than anything else out there, it wasn't the same quality as the earlier Hunters. I also had a 52" antique brass Hunter of that era that did the same thing.

Thanks for the info Stan !   I ordered new bearing kit from design center in florida on eBay. It should be here Thursday . Hopefully that will remedy problem .

I picked up 6 of the Hunter cast iron ceiling fans from a doctor that took them down from the outside porch around his house. He said they were working, but his wife didnt want them anymore. Anyway out of the 6 only 2 actually worked! And with those two, I had to change both capacitors in each. I tried the same with the other four, but they wouldn't work properly. I could spin them to start and they would only run on two speeds. I changed the pull chain switch and still no difference.

Can anyone shed some light on this?