Best way to store antique ceiling fans?

David Deloria

Hello, I have an Emerson fernleaf and a Century model 175 and I was wondering if it's ok to store them on their sides? I don't want to damage the switches on the bottom. Is this ok or will it cause damage over time? 

I have had many ceiling fans over the years.  Since I live in a rental property, they have all been in storage at some time or another since they could not be installed in my residence.  Most of mine were stored tilted as a space savings method.  I never had any issues that I could attribute to storage.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/20/2022 at 9:23 AM, Robert Todd said:

I have had many ceiling fans over the years.  Since I live in a rental property, they have all been in storage at some time or another since they could not be installed in my residence.  Most of mine were stored tilted as a space savings method.  I never had any issues that I could attribute to storage.

Sure, no problem—unless a moist environment! And you forget about them! Here's what happens to an early (pre model 15) Century stored on its side for many decades...
The stator and rotor were completely rusted/seized together on one side especially! Getting that apart was FFUUNN!!!

X_Locked_Rotor.jpg

Edited by Paul Michael
  • Sad 1

Just remember to drain the oil and personally I would pack and BOX a fernleaf. Those nose cones are super delicate.  Here is a tip for long term storage.  Use a garbage bag or double bag, get a bunch of packs of silica gel, empty them into an old sock put the silica sock and a fan motor into the bag and tie it shut real good, double knot and it should keep for years in stasis.  May want to do similar with the wood blades so they do not mildew and smell funky.  Also helps to keep the bugs out by wrapping and keeping dry.

I get double sided boxes from my work that ship glass bottled 4 liter solvent bottles.  A fan fits nicely in them and they stack nicely.  Obvious this is not available to everyone.  Otherwise, hang them without the blades and irons.

302533489_382498030723282_5139469261869618097_n.jpg

Edited by Tom Dreesen

4 minutes ago, Tom Dreesen said:

I get double sidled boxes from my work that ship glass bottled 4 liter solvent bottles.  A fan fits nicely in them and they stack nicely.  Obvious this is not available to everyone.  Otherwise, hang them without the blades and irons.

For some reason, your comment made me remember the stench of old lab Nalgene bottles! Yuck!

15 minutes ago, Tom Dreesen said:

I get double sided boxes from my work that ship glass bottled 4 liter solvent bottles.  A fan fits nicely in them and they stack nicely.  Obvious this is not available to everyone.  Otherwise, hang them without the blades and irons.

Lots of weight on those rafters!

16 minutes ago, Paul Michael said:

For some reason, your comment made me remember the stench of old lab Nalgene bottles! Yuck!

LOL, another lab rat.  These are the solvent boxes.  

20210705_135932[1].jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Louis Weedman said:

I use metal shelf racking, the heavy duty commercial type. They hold a lot of weight no problem. Don't use the cheap wire racks.

Yes, no cheap wire racks.

I'm thinking maybe four
or five CF motors on edge
per shelf,...   not!

Screenshot_20230821-211147_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5b70782eea22c4faf6aeb7ab98fc9701.jpg

1 hour ago, Jim Kovar said:

Yes, no cheap wire racks.

I'm thinking maybe four
or five CF motors on edge
per shelf,...   not!

Screenshot_20230821-211147_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5b70782eea22c4faf6aeb7ab98fc9701.jpg

That is one ratty looking shelf...  also thw supports dont seem to be installed correctly?  I have a rolling Metro rack that would support a lot of fans, i used it to carry rear dofferentials, generators, starters and a couple transmissions.