Emerson 1895 CF-1 reproduction fans - opinions?

Doug Wendel

I saw an Emerson CF-1 "1895" re-issue fan for sale - 2-winger, no light kit.  I know it's not antique or original, but looks pretty cool and pretty good quality.  What are the opinions on these, and what would be an appropriate pr ice for a used one?  EMCF1ORB-4.jpg.392e68a17f71a243ea6774aec42dac0a.jpg

7 hours ago, Doug Wendel said:

...Emerson CF-1 "1895" re-issue...  ...not antique...  ...opinions[?]

I sure would like to have an
original to which to make a
comparison.

73630_071244_510000000.jpg.2af3df552b78e8909f2abf3c7e483f6c.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 11:09 PM, Jim Kovar said:

I sure would like to have an
original to which to make a
comparison.

73630_071244_510000000.jpg.2af3df552b78e8909f2abf3c7e483f6c.jpg

Only offered 2 years at 133 cycles. The last of the Alexander Meston patented concept design now for the first time a ceiling fan motor.  Single metal brush on a commutator.  Enjoy the pictures. 🙂

Edited by Russ Huber

Personally if you like the look of it I'd say it's worth grabbing. It would look cooler than pretty much any other ceiling fan on the shelf. 

Mostly just depends on if you'd enjoy seeing it in your house.  

• Like 1

Got it home and on the bench.  This fan is large - especially compared to the 1510 and 16666 stumps sitting there.  I'm not sure where I will be able to hang it, as I don't have very high ceilings, and this fan hangs pretty low.  The one place where I currently have a pretty decent modern ceiling fan I could replace also needs a light.  But it is cool looking.  I'm told these sold at upwards of $700 new back when they were still making them.

image.thumb.jpeg.3324e5252b47662562a1ec933546eaec.jpeg

On 9/26/2022 at 1:13 PM, Doug Wendel said:

Got it home and on the bench.  This fan is large - especially compared to the 1510 and 16666 stumps sitting there.  I'm not sure where I will be able to hang it, as I don't have very high ceilings, and this fan hangs pretty low.  The one place where I currently have a pretty decent modern ceiling fan I could replace also needs a light.  But it is cool looking.  I'm told these sold at upwards of $700 new back when they were still making them.

image.thumb.jpeg.3324e5252b47662562a1ec933546eaec.jpeg

It looks really good!

Is it made of metal?

• 1 month later...

This model Emerson named "The Cornerstone". Pretty faithful reproduction based on looks alone. Every now and again I see one come up for sale second hand, but they never last long, and I've never been quick enough to nab one. They were expensive.

Russ, where does it state the CF-1 was made only for two years at 133 cycles?

The 95 introduction C. F. 1 ceiling fan would be a prize find.  Not only is it the last of the deceased Alexander Meston's single-phase brushed motor concept, at 133 cycles it would have had a tough time surviving out there in the world evolving to 60 cycles. 

Charles Meston was for most part a pencil pusher. Alexander Meston was deceased spring of 93. Just what Edwin Pillsbury and Fred Briner Emerson involvement contributed to Emerson induction motor engineering after Alexander's death up to 97........??

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Andrew Block said:

I believe David Allen is in possession of a 133 cycle CF-1 motor.

Hi Andrew. Mine isn't a CF-1. It's a CF-27 or CF-30 I believe. Very poor condition but it does run. 
Here is a video of it being driven hard at 133 Hz and oversize blades. 😧

14 minutes ago, David Allen said:

Hi Andrew. Mine isn't a CF-1. It's a CF-27 or CF-30 I believe. Very poor condition but it does run. 

unnamed (2).png

unnamed (3).png

unnamed.png

unnamed (1).png

• Like 1

I have a CF-28 that was found in the wild in Kansas that I would love to bring back to life one day.  It needs the expected switch and switch housing, and the top casting has some cracks and missing parts around the circumference.

I was fortunate enough to to purchase a CF-28 from Dr. Hoehn’s collection. The castings were all in great shape. I had it copper plated and oxidized but the project is currently on hold. 

On 11/8/2022 at 12:31 PM, Steve Cunningham said:

Bill Hoehn found one. It was in an estate. I think he said they wanted $60,000 for the Estate. He passed.

I recall you sharing this story with me Steve. He had to buy the estate to get the fan. Don't blame him for passing. Probably sitting on someone's barn shelf in Missouri somewhere. It'll surface one day. Hope to be around to see it 👀

On 11/9/2022 at 1:26 PM, David Allen said:

Whoops brain fart. 133 cycles deemed familiar 😄

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 2:31 PM, Steve Cunningham said:

Bill Hoehn found one. It was in an estate. I think he said they wanted $60,000 for the Estate. He passed.

I take pictures of fans I can't own; it is easy to do. If I forgot my camera the day I went to an estate and saw an extremely rare fan that I could not buy, I would fly back home, borrow money to fly back, if necessary, get my camera, and fly back. 🙂

1139034910-quote-it-always-was-the-biggest-fish-i-caught-that-got-away-eugene-field-228689.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber