1950s Vornado Window fan, Ideas on paint

Tim Babcock

I bought two fans at the semi annual flea market. This Vornado was one. There were two there and this one was in the best condition. It runs but I am tearing it down to sand blast. I see the paint was originally a hammered green. I don't think Krylon or Rustolium makes a close hammered color. Only ones I have seen is brown, black and silver hammered. So I was thinking of going with a solid color vintage blue or something else the 50s era would have used. If you guys have any pictures of your Vornado window fans you restored and painted I would appreciate a picture to give me ideas.

this fan in later version was a light blue with medium dark green trim.... i think someone on the forum had a paint for the hammered finish but it was back within a year on the posting and i cant remember who it was. i hope someone pipes up! 

Thanks. I felt the ivory and moss green had a retro look to it. I do not really love working on these. They are a bit of a pain. But in the end its worth it.

I don't see these fans all that much. The last flea market I went to had two of them. The one I passed up was 89 asking but I am sure I could have gotten it for 65  or so. Here are the finished pics of the fan. I put felt in the top and bottom channel to give it a quiet and smooth sound when pulling out the doors. DSC08049.JPG.01775b7729b4916fbd4568a8f07299c6.JPGDSC08048.JPG.d289d87b0d63e21b65b727a5259becf0.JPG

• Like 1