Help to identify GE fan

Ajay Kumar

Hi 

I bought this fan recently. To me, it looks like an orbit fan !!! But the seller informed me that this fan oscillates up and down ?? Is it true, GE made such a fan oscillating up and down ? Unfortunately when I switched on the fan, it just started and then stopped after a spark from the carbon brush holder , now I have to take the fan to a fan repairer. Can some one please help me to understand more about this fan ?

Thank you 

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

Just now, Louis Luu said:

The struts is a dead giveaway for British?  I'm guessing GEC?

Definitely looking like a GEC but with a GE cage?

Congrats ...You have an early veritys there Ajay. Just be careful its not a DC fan. My example is,which might explain why it didn't work on testing.

The blade and cage aren't correct to the fan It should have veritys pizza shaped blades and an early veritys cage, but otherwise its beautiful!!

Nice fan.

1 hour ago, Jim Dunn said:

Congrats ...You have an early veritys there Ajay. Just be careful its not a DC fan. My example is,which might explain why it didn't work on testing.

The blade and cage aren't correct to the fan It should have veritys pizza shaped blades and an early veritys cage, but otherwise its beautiful!!

Nice fan.

Jim, can you please post an image of your example and a circa of manufacture? Do you have catalogue or electrical trade image(s)? Thanks.

G’day Russ… my first time posting on here so I hope it comes out ok. Here I go 

Unfortunately I don’t have my example near me but the catalogue images are from  the 1923. It predates the early double levers

I have an earlier 1908 catalogue which has the Errol but only in a non oscillating version.

051D37C5-3C8B-4085-B682-D2BA107AF714.jpeg

F19A8C11-A0E3-4BAB-95C4-3344FFB0F519.jpeg

01FA49EE-19CE-499D-B38F-8C9874469F1F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jim Dunn said:

Unfortunately I don’t have my example near me but the catalogue images are from  the 1923. It predates the early double levers

I have an earlier 1908 catalogue which has the Errol but only in a non oscillating version.

Thanks, Jim!  Stick around, you fellows more studied on the foreign stuff are precious.

content (2).v1 (1).jpg

Verity-revo24.v1.jpg

16 hours ago, Jim Dunn said:

Thank you Jim for sharing the catalogue. I have to make a similar cage. Could you please share the front view of your fan cage.

Thanks jim and Russ for the welcoming words … 

Ajay .. My fan has the correct shaped cage  but without the very front extended detail but happy to send you some pics and dimensions in a few weeks when I can get to it. Its in storage and not at hand.

Edited by Jim Dunn
  • Like 1

Russ .. interesting images… love it!

Nice compilation of brands there .. interestingly it looks like that is a later model  Arrol with the round base and missing the tab feet. 

Edited by Jim Dunn
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:40 AM, Jim Dunn said:

Thanks jim and Russ for the welcoming words … 

Ajay .. My fan has the correct shaped cage  but without the very front extended detail but happy to send you some pics and dimensions in a few weeks when I can get to it. Its in storage and not at hand.

Thank you so much Jim, I received the fan today. I have to take the fan motor to a repair shop to check the winding as it produced spark from the carbon brush holder while testing and stopped working . Wondering how this can be converted to a wall fan ( bracket fan ) as illustrated in the catalogue ? Did not find any knob to loosen the base ? there is only one big screw that holds the base and upper portion together ?? I have to check the fan thoroughly on Sunday, then I will get back to you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay Ajay.. just got a couple of snaps of my fan. Let me know what measurements you need for the cage.

From memory I have seen the cage on my fan on this model before which is why I matched them up… it has the same dimensions as the Veritys Delhi fan 

My example is interesting with its Patent Applied For badge. I don’t know, maybe this implies it’s an earlier example?

8689BEA0-5BDD-4982-9F1F-0C76F6686436.jpeg

AB819FB3-0A0D-4191-9CE5-05A5EB7A5952.jpeg

545FAEEE-B9C3-4C46-91F0-EA0D7A98740A.jpeg

06A2F220-9276-424B-B878-CDC562CD3DAC.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 10:22 AM, Jim Dunn said:

Sorry for the delay Ajay.. just got a couple of snaps of my fan. Let me know what measurements you need for the cage.

From memory I have seen the cage on my fan on this model before which is why I matched them up… it has the same dimensions as the Veritys Delhi fan 

My example is interesting with its Patent Applied For badge. I don’t know, maybe this implies it’s an earlier example?

8689BEA0-5BDD-4982-9F1F-0C76F6686436.jpeg

AB819FB3-0A0D-4191-9CE5-05A5EB7A5952.jpeg

545FAEEE-B9C3-4C46-91F0-EA0D7A98740A.jpeg

06A2F220-9276-424B-B878-CDC562CD3DAC.jpeg

Hi Jim, Thanks a lot for sharing the pic. I was little busy at work, did not get time to log in to the forum !! I dismantled the fan couple of weeks back, finding it difficult to remove the small gear wheel that is connected to the rotor shaft at the back end. Will post the pic in the coming days. Similarly the connecting wires to the carbon brush were taken through out side, for your fan it is not visible that means it is connected from inside. Have you ever opened your fan and seen the connection ? Or do you have any idea how to connect the wires to the carbon brush from inside ? I can make out, my fan has been repaired several times in the past !! that is the reason many things are not in place as it should be. I will post few pic at the weekend, hope some one will guide me on this. Thank you.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:17 PM, Jim Dunn said:

Nice fan.

Hi Jim

I dismantled the fan. Its a DC fan ? ( or some one converted it to a DC ? ). There is a bridge rectifier at the end of power code ? I have attached pic of the coil and armature. does the armature looks like a replacement ?? 

Can some one guide me how to remove the brass gear wheel marked in the pic ? Its not coming out, while rotating the armature it also rotates but I am unable to pull it out ? Any idea how it can be removed ? 

Thank you

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

• 3 months later...

My good ness Ajay.I'm sorry. I haven't been back on for ages and just followed up your post.

I hope you have made some progress since then. How did you go?

• 4 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 8:17 PM, Jim Dunn said:

Nice fan.

On 3/5/2023 at 7:20 AM, Jim Dunn said:

My good ness Ajay.I'm sorry. I haven't been back on for ages and just followed up your post.

I hope you have made some progress since then. How did you go?

Hi Jim, I was away from the forum for long time due to busy schedule at work place. I have not done any thing after that, fan is still in dismantled condition ? I have to get it done at the earliest.

Thank you so much will keep you posted.

Regards

Ajay