Century ceiling fan

Tim Babcock

One of the vendors I buy old fans from sent me an offer for this early 1900s Century Ceiling fan. She says it runs smooth and is doing a video to send me. Its missing the blades and two of the blade holders. I have no idea how hard it would be to refurbish this compared to the other fans I have done. But I don't think it would be much different, correct me if I am wrong. I have no idea if its possible to source parts for this fan, and if its worth anything or valuable enough to repair it. Thanks for any guidance.

IMG_20220427_175819909.jpg

IMG_20220427_180038976.jpg

IMG_20220427_191143188.jpg

IMG_20220427_191228985.jpg

• Like 1

those are beautiful and powerful fans. I've had one running flawlessly every summer in the shop for the past 26 years. blades & brackets do show up if U R watching and waiting.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Ed Teach said:

The seller is asking 275 for this fan. I have no idea if that is a fair price all its money or over priced. Thanks for any help on this.

They are not rare, Ed. For $275 the fan should be complete, looking sweet, with the switch. Your call.  

CenturyCF1.jpg

fans 1 1024.jpg

fans 1 1027.jpg

fans 1 1043.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Thanks. I don't know any value on these and I did not want to over pay for it. I see some on this forum have been refurbished and sold for 5 to 600 dollars. I will give this one a pass.

The closed top models are far more abundant than open top. When they brought the older ceiling fans down in past to remodel or replace, they were not thinking about you or I purchasing it years down the road. 7 chances out of 10 they brought the fan down on its vulnerable porcelain switch, and bye bye switch.  This Century has a rod extending from the switch knob up to the internal porcelain switch. Bringing the fan down on the switch knob would force the rod up into the internal switch and fracture it.

This Westy sidewinder with all original extras went on ebay years for $75.00 + shipping. I should know as I am the one with some help carefully took it down from the ceiling, went through it, tested it sound, cleaned it, and packed it. That was the last CF for me to move on or stash unless it dates 19th century. 🙂 

Be patient, Ed. One day you may find a grouping of old Century CFs sitting on top of a dumpster pile with one dandy with your name on it. 🙂

WestyBrassRod 071.jpg

The price seems a little steep considering the missing parts.  These are indeed beautiful and powerful fans... the Century literature states 9300 CFM, making it possible the most powerful antique ceiling fan made.  I just finished up a restoration of a CF-58 "Closed Top" Century and I should have some photos posted this weekend.  These are easy and intuitive to disassemble and have the benefit of being easily serviced while hung on the ceiling.

I bought these pair of unusual 20th century Dayton 500 CFs in past in a junky back room of an antique shop. I was impressed when I got pictures back from the buyer after he restored them. Collectors nickname them the watermelon slice Cfs. They are not to be disrespected. 🙂

DaytonDayfan1.jpg

Watermelonslice1.jpg

Watermelonslice2.jpg

Watermelonslice3.jpg

Watermelonslice4.jpg

Watermelonslice5.jpg

• Like 1

I think the price for a functional, but incomplete motor should be between $50-125.  I have purchased my incomplete motors for between $15, $35 and $99 (open top with intact Japanned finish) but paid $300 for an all original complete fan with switch.  It could be expensive to source parts for an incomplete fan, hence the price differences. If you have brackets, blades can be made. Repro brackets are available online as well. 

Edited by Matthew Orwat

2 hours ago, Rick Powell said:

Russ nice finish on the Dayton, what is it?

Thanks,

Rick Powell

Rick, I passed them on in the rough years ago to someone in lower Michigan if memory serves me right. He sent me pictures of his work when he got them dolled. I am sorry, he did not give details of what he did. I have never FULLY restored a CF I passed on, I simply check them out to see if they are mechanically and electrically sound.

2 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Rick, I passed them on in the rough years ago to someone in lower Michigan if memory serves me right. He sent me pictures of his work when he got them dolled. I am sorry, he did not give details of what he did. I have never FULLY restored a CF I passed on, I simply check them out to see if they are mechanically and electrically sound.

Thanks Russ a very interesting finish none the less