Persistent Buzzing Sound from my Emmy 77648-SQ on Low and Medium speeds

Bob Smith

Hi, all, I'm bummed.  I took my Emerson 77648-SQ pedestal fan out to the garage to work on as someone suggested I coat the wires of the choke coil with red insulating spray and the buzzing noise on low and medium would likely cease.  I unscrewed the choke coil and coated the copper coil on both sides with insulating spray bought from Grainger,, moved it back in the living room, (that sucker is Heavy!) ran it on low and just as before, after about 15 minutes, the buzzing returned, albeit somewhat more muted than before.  Could I have done it wrong?  Any suggestions welcome....Thx, Bob

I had a Jubilee pedestal with a buzz in the winding.  I was able to figure out where it was coming from and gently wedged a piece of toothpick between the winding and the surrounding lamination.  Never buzzed again.

• Like 1

Mark Stillman, Interesting.  This is definitely coming from the speed coil and oddly it doesn't start until the fan has run for 15 or 20 minutes on low or med. On high, no sound at all, since the speed coil's not needed......

Lawrence Smith, When I took the coil loose from the base to paint it, I noticed that the stack held together except for the last two plates that would be on the opposite end of the screw head end (that would touch the cast iron base when installed.  I reinstalled it and put the loose plate back as they were and made sure the screws were good and tight.  By heating the coil, you mean by running the fan for a while on low, or heat with light flame?

I use an industrial heat gun ,looks like a hair dryer. The heat will allow the varnish to soak in much like sweating a copper pipe. Running the fan to heat it up will also help. I would set up pigtails & have it out side the fan , that way you can isolate the side of the coil that is buzzing.