My pancake find.

Trevor Andersen

Compare 12-inch catalog artwork with 16-inch:

image.thumb.png.df1b3b32f048782b7713a2167b543d01.png

The adapter page was unequivocally depicting the actual circumstances:

image.thumb.png.a4ff5cf7ac9ad6a2633168985b0235a2.png

You see how I was misled... and so few bracket fans make publication, if Kim didn't post them and the cool Pancake exhaust fans, we'd hardly have any awareness...

But I asked the question for a reason..... I don't believe any of these type were standard issue, but again, why I asked........

image.png.08b7ce6bef360e8596477e1d2b32ac03.png

10 hours ago, Kim Frank said:

Looks like a project, but for a buck something definitely worth it. A complete and working 1905 cake should sell in the  neighborhood of $1000-1250 so looks like you have a lot of wiggle room to get the needed parts. While the adapter is a cool find, not sure what kind of value to assign it. I have a repop adapter that someone did twenty years ago on display in the museum. It is a copy of the 16 inch version....

Yes the parts are going to hurt the wallet. Probably the only way I'd end up owning a pancake would be finding a unicorn like this. Of all my other fans I think none are worth over $700 and I think the most Ive paid for one is around $300 for a silver swan. 

Edited by Trevor Andersen

1 hour ago, Trevor Andersen said:

Yes the parts are going to hurt the wallet. Probably the only way I'd end up owning a pancake would be finding a unicorn like this. All my other fans are probably worth under $700 and I think the most Ive paid for one is around $300 for a silver swan. 

Hurts so good. Again congrats on now owning a original wall mount adaptor. I'll take original any day.

Looks like my cage repair should work out. I will polish the brass then attach the wires to the back with dabs of silver solder on the holes. 20221117_171603.thumb.jpg.073775edfe165bd875386db74e689ed3.jpg20221117_162912.thumb.jpg.46f19f70a60d9a9d20f1565293d564ea.jpg

• Like 1

Sculpted some JB Weld around the finial to try and replace what had been ground down to braze it into the iron pipe. Should look even better once it's cured and sanded. 20221123_210627.thumb.jpg.f0e05636d8e29b7fd40383c05081a04e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I ran into an unexpected stupid error on my part. It was believed I needed the 1905 Half Ribbed pancake base for this and I was told it came in a 5/8 in and a 3/4 in yoke trunnion size. I knew it was bigger than 5/8 for sure so just assumed the 3/4 is what it was. Well my yoke trunnion is 7/8, the post on the wall adapter is also 7/8. Somehow even with getting all the measurements in metric to Luis it never clicked in my head 3/4 wasnt going to work. Is there a pancake base that has a 7/8 inch hole in the base for the yoke? Could I have a franken cake with a mismatched yoke? But then the adapter has to be mismatched too as it is 7/8. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Trevor Andersen said:

Looks great. I'll let you know how it fits. 

I don't know what model/year the pancake that I used for modeling is.  It fits like a glove.  I checked it against the measurements you gave me and used the picture provided by Steve.

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2022 at 7:50 PM, Trevor Andersen said:

Ok so I ran into an unexpected stupid error on my part. It was believed I needed the 1905 Half Ribbed pancake base for this and I was told it came in a 5/8 in and a 3/4 in yoke trunnion size. I knew it was bigger than 5/8 for sure so just assumed the 3/4 is what it was. Well my yoke trunnion is 7/8, the post on the wall adapter is also 7/8. Somehow even with getting all the measurements in metric to Luis it never clicked in my head 3/4 wasnt going to work. Is there a pancake base that has a 7/8 inch hole in the base for the yoke? Could I have a franken cake with a mismatched yoke? But then the adapter has to be mismatched too as it is 7/8. 

OK... so wait... this yoke and angle adapter on this tinker project you found is not a known size? This is major, or something fishy afoot.

3 hours ago, Nicholas Denney said:

OK... so wait... this yoke and angle adapter on this tinker project you found is not a known size? This is major, or something fishy afoot.

Look at the original photos before making suggestions like this.

8 hours ago, Chris Campbell said:

Look at the original photos before making suggestions like this.

So what pancake has 7/8" hardware, then? Could be that someone made something back in the day, big deal. I've seen kludges on top of homemade machined work. 

Trevor, don't let a little Kludge rain on your parade. Rock on, dude!  The end result is the prize, bound to be a few roadblocks, opinions, and some aggravation. Keep focused on the goal!

• Like 1

Its called envy Russ. Exactly as I said from the begining of this posting.

Give me original over repop any day!

The key is ownership and others wish they owned it too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicholas Denney said:

So what pancake has 7/8" hardware, then? Could be that someone made something back in the day, big deal. I've seen kludges on top of homemade machined work. 

There are several instances of variations with many various fans. This is a unique part that could have been designed 7/8” based on a manufacturers specs. What examples are there for comparison? There is nothing from the photos to suggest “kludge.”  

Rather than realize what I posted above you decide to downplay a great find by referring to as a “tinker project.” Then you suggest it is fishy based off an short sighted assumption. All of this was followed up a “kludge” comment. You even dug this up from 5-6 weeks ago.

On the old forum you had several drive by comments purely for instigation and your comments follow the same path.

Sorry, but unless you have something based on expertise or even a half educated assessment, then the opinions posted by you above dont carry any weight.

Trevor, Congratulations on your find.

Edited by Chris Campbell
Grammatical
  • Like 2

I enjoyed the research and documentation with comparison to catalog illustration, the changing placement of the screw, etc, but I was left out in the cold with the sudden mention of the 7/8" hardware.

I'm waiting to hear from Louis, or especially Steve Rockwell or Kim Frank about this hardware blip. The accusations of envy, jealousy, and whatever else you want to accuse me of are a genuine waste of time.

I replied to the thread because it was pages off the front and didn't have an answer.

26 minutes ago, Nicholas Denney said:

I enjoyed the research and documentation with comparison to catalog illustration, the changing placement of the screw, etc, but I was left out in the cold with the sudden mention of the 7/8" hardware.

I'm waiting to hear from Louis, or especially Steve Rockwell or Kim Frank about this hardware blip. The accusations of envy, jealousy, and whatever else you want to accuse me of are a genuine waste of time.

I replied to the thread because it was pages off the front and didn't have an answer.

Kinda looks like some dude wanted to make a table fan out of a retired wall mount cake. So, he added a kludge to a cake wall mount deally bob. Do you really think he added a kludge to a kludge? I think that sometimes people think more than they should think about things they think too much about. It makes complete sense. Fact Jack.

20221114_123455.thumb.jpg.9f2e9b7bb8004c460608edb7ae4a9138.jpg

20221114_231042.thumb.jpg.916d96ccc08de0e0a3c474a45db3df90.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm they have a similar badge on a 1905 pancake or other year. I am trying to find a replacement. It has no ring for the s-wires and they go directly into the badge. I am having trouble finding examples with the 4 flourishes or swirls that have as short of tails as this.20230206_192059.thumb.jpg.e26a37c7f5b24ac5d45fa7831bb8c030.jpg20230206_192113.thumb.jpg.e12c74d17c0d0f72f0db2c7821ee15cf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone with a 12" 1905 pancake measure the distance for me between the rear ring and the front ring of the cage? Trying to figure out how long I need to keep the new S-wires. Thanks.