Anyone Have A 3 Tab Foot Menominee Snowflake?

Russ Huber

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mel Lagarde said:

I have one but not in a stationary.    I have not seen a stationary ever posted.  

Mel, You have a 12" 3 tab base snowflake oscillator?

-2_v1.thumb.jpg.ad3481482c8acb15fd6b96993a53105a.jpg

• Like 1

There appears to have been an elusive 12" 3-tab base AC brushless induction motor on the market in 12.  The brushed 12" ball motor Holtzer copycat 3-tab model was introduced in 11.

-2_v1.thumb.v1.jpg.ad3481482c8acb15fd6b96993a53105a.jpg

RoundSwivel2.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Peters said:

Would a sixteen inch, tab foot oscillator, without brushes, be the answer to your questions?

IF....it has a 3 tab base

The above bipolar images support a Menominee 19th century fan motor by their construction. I have found nothing in electrical trade so far to connect them to Menominee, but their motor construction and components are with little doubt Menominee.  The authenticity of the blade I would question on Mel's example seen in his shared image. I am aware of no CW blade rotation Menominee 19th century bipolars. I have brought this up before. What is a shame is the inability to date their place or time slot during Menominee 19th century bipolar manufacture. I have no documentation to date them. 

Russ

This early Menominee or Noxall fan runs beautifully.   I will connect up the leads and will run it to see if the CW blade is turning CCW.  I think the blade is not original but I do think this fan was a Noxall that lost the fancy dolphin base or was mounted to this base when the dolphin base proved too delicate. Either way this fan motor sure looks like the image shown for the Noxall.  

Here are the best pictures I have of this fan.  

Mel

00E1795F-DD3E-483D-8D28-54E4C044D850.jpeg

5A1B94EA-6654-43B1-B8D6-B0B87F998209.jpeg

861AE1FE-021F-440D-BB04-A555EE65FDD1.jpeg

596A3DFF-DBA6-4920-82AA-F08DB4484677.jpeg

1EC3414B-DEC2-40D0-8A23-2E83CA91EFAA.jpeg

D1B67664-2276-4D6A-A372-D7862DC17169.jpeg

786EC601-C2B1-4A58-9229-F37462BFB2C1.jpeg

17090EB3-C730-42A7-A1D0-ABC6E35F0008.jpeg

36F1FEA9-1409-4583-B5F5-DA208E6EB944.jpeg

B0D9A75D-6821-4B50-90DB-2643E3281116.jpeg

• Like 4

Mel,

There is little doubt your fan was manufactured by Menominee based on its motor construction/castings. It has the Holtzer-Cabot styling guard and supports used by Tideman first seen on their 96-introduction fan motor marketed through the Electrical Appliance Co. as the "American". The Menominee fan motor marketed 1898-99 on the east coast through the electrical contracting firm Vance Electric was given the trademark name "Noxall". The same fan marketed through Chicago electrical supply went under the trademark name "American". 

If you notice the Menominee fan (based on Menominee tell-tale construction) that was, or still owned by Stefan Osdene that was purchased AS IS from private party has the same base as your example. That makes .......two examples with that base. The Noxall and American (same fan) 19th century Menominee bipolars were in FULL nickel plate.

I have yet to see one Menominee 19th century bipolar fan motor, including Stefan's example with same base as yours with CW blade rotation. Armature rotation can be changed on a DC brushed bipolar by swapping wire connections. It would be especially easy to change blade rotation on your example based on 9 and 3 o'clock location pencil brush holders. What is in question with your fan is not the fan motor and its construction and components, I would be highly suspicious your blade is a reproduction. You would have to trace back the owners of the fan prior to you. Stefan's example has the same base as yours and it popped up if memory serves me right from the wild on ebay? 

Who took this image below of your fan prior to your ownership? Was the individual very capable of restoration and reproduction parts? Oxidizing brass to create patina has been done. I am not accusing anyone of anything. What I question is the validity of the blade on your fan. If in fact it would be found to be a reproduction, there is a high probability it is spinning in the wrong direction.

Being Stefan's example came from the wild in rough shape, has CCW blade rotation, and has the same base as yours, I am sorry, but I would not support it to be a replacement base for the Noxall or American dolphin base examples. I have no time slot or dating for either your fan or Stefan's, and so far, no images or woodcuts to support them in 19th or early 20th century electrical trade. 

Menominee was back up and running in May of 1900 after being pulled from bankruptcy and financed by Menominee prominent Robert E. Jennings. Did they manufacture fan motors in 1900 and 1901?? WHAT WERE THOSE FAN MOTORS IF SO??  

MVC-896F.JPG

• Like 1

The Menominee DC Zephyr desk and bracket was introduced in 1902 to the electrical trade. Menominee fan motor production in 1900 and 1901 is so far, a mystery.

Menomineezephyr02.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1