Vornado Stator Lead Wire Replacement Help

Jared DelOrfano

Howdy folks. I’ve been tinkering with a Vornado and finally got the stator free from the motor housing. The cloth covered lead wire was soaked in oil, hardened, and has cracked. I‘ve started reading up a bit on these motors but don’t have the first clue on where to start with replacing that wiring. Any resources or tips would be appreciated.

On a side note, is there anyone out here in the Kansas City metro area who would be willing to show me some tips and tricks with fan/motor restorations? Thank you all, and Happy New Year!

D2A8BC89-6131-4D84-91F9-196C567B87D4.thumb.jpeg.02255946a56efdc90f62d49781151463.jpeg

F1839B56-2ED7-47DB-8353-C5C7DB0C6345.thumb.jpeg.fa3571ccc3e716a6e57d5b8200dfcac2.jpeg

Edited by Jared DelOrfano

• Jared DelOrfano changed the title to Vornado Stator Lead Wire Replacement Help
On 12/28/2022 at 9:08 PM, Jared DelOrfano said:

Would putting heat shrink on the whole of the wires help, and prevent me from having to replace the wire?

Heat shrink is the way to go, but not the whole wire.

Have your new headwire on hand, clip the leads off the stator leaving several inches. Remove the failed insulation back to the cracked open part.

Trim the conductors to about 1" on the stator wires, and strip the new head wire similarly. Prepare some heat shrink tubes long enough to cover the splices when made like this:

western_union.jpg.ed9fdc6b9a119c31f7400dec1636c09c.jpg

Slip the tube on the wire, make the Western Union splice, solder the splices, slide the heat shrink over the splices and shrink it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark Olson said:

Heat shrink is the way to go, but not the whole wire.

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply.  I forgot to take a picture of the stator before I took it apart or to provide a bit more detail.  The cloth covered head wire was actually connected to the rubber insulated power chord (that came up from the rotary switch) via crimp connects in the back of the motor housing.  I cut the crimp connects off in order to take apart the fan.  Bearing this in mind, would you still recommend I splice in a bit of new head wire between the cloth wire and the switch wiring?  If so, any recommendations on type/guage?  Thank you again for your assistance.

1 hour ago, Jared DelOrfano said:

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply.  I forgot to take a picture of the stator before I took it apart or to provide a bit more detail.  The cloth covered head wire was actually connected to the rubber insulated power chord (that came up from the rotary switch) via crimp connects in the back of the motor housing.  I cut the crimp connects off in order to take apart the fan.  Bearing this in mind, would you still recommend I splice in a bit of new head wire between the cloth wire and the switch wiring?  If so, any recommendations on type/guage?  Thank you again for your assistance.

Yes, judging by the appearance of the existing wire on your stator, my opinion on the easiest and best repair has not changed.

Good luck, if I am missing something that the photographs do not show, please do not hesitate to say so.

3 hours ago, Mark Olson said:

Yes, judging by the appearance of the existing wire on your stator, my opinion on the easiest and best repair has not changed.

Good luck, if I am missing something that the photographs do not show, please do not hesitate to say so.

Thanks again for your help. My goal is safety and longevity for the fan and this sounds like the best way to achieve that.

I’ve measured the wire and found that it is 18 gauge. Is this stuff any good?

6239AEB7-BE86-4A1C-95D9-CE09D48A232A.thumb.png.fdab9a581a11051bd97c26f5ef66d44f.png

D9FD1E23-DA46-4EFC-8DEE-5F7ACFE767F0.thumb.png.3ed145d8cf27063bf8d5238ac5925653.png

15 minutes ago, Jared DelOrfano said:

Thanks again for your help. My goal is safety and longevity for the fan and this sounds like the best way to achieve that.

I’ve measured the wire and found that it is 18 gauge. Is this stuff any good?

It looks as good as any, on Vornados I usually use regular zip cord. Rich Raclawsky used to sell gray cords and brown cords for Vornado fans, but you would do almost as well to get a zip cord extension cord of whatever color you prefer or can find at the big bx store.

24 minutes ago, Mark Olson said:

It looks as good as any, on Vornados I usually use regular zip cord. Rich Raclawsky used to sell gray cords and brown cords for Vornado fans, but you would do almost as well to get a zip cord extension cord of whatever color you prefer or can find at the big bx store.

Thanks for all your help on this Mark. One more question for you… when I took this thing apart I forgot to mark the stator wires. I know which are the neutral and hot wires coming from the switch per the diagram below, but how would I go about testing the stator to know which head wire is which? I do have a multimeter but am not sure how to test this. In case you couldn’t tell, I’m still learning the tips of the trade when it comes to wiring 🤠

F75F3EF1-427B-45A4-A764-9F15B658F8B4.gif.b7591aa29302f1e9c3123b6dc4aaff0f.gif

Still trying to figure out how to format posts!

4 minutes ago, Jared DelOrfano said:

Thanks for all your help on this Mark. One more question for you… when I took this thing apart I forgot to mark the stator wires. I know which are the neutral and hot wires coming from the switch per the diagram below, but how would I go about testing the stator to know which head wire is which? I do have a multimeter but am not sure how to test this. In case you couldn’t tell, I’m still learning the tips of the trade when it comes to wiring 🤠

High goes directly from the switch to the motor, either motor wire, the other motor wire is neutral. Medium from the switch to the middle of the choke to the same motor wire and low from the switch to the low end of the coil to that motor wire, like the diagram. you can do it experimentally to determine hi, med, low, or use the meter on ohms to determine highest resistance and medium resistance to either end.

Usually, the higher of the medium resistance is the "real" medium, but you may like it the other way.

11 minutes ago, Mark Olson said:

High goes directly from the switch to the motor, either motor wire, the other motor wire is neutral.

So to confirm, the wires coming from the switch can go to either ones coming from the stator? Luckily I’ve got all the rest of the wiring for the switch in order and will probably leave it how I found it. Just the end that wasn’t labeled.

Just now, Jared DelOrfano said:

So to confirm, the wires coming from the switch can go to either ones coming from the stator? Luckily I’ve got all the rest of the wiring for the switch in order and will probably leave it how I found it. Just the end that wasn’t labeled.

Either wire, it does not matter🙂

Just now, Mark Olson said:

Either wire, it does not matter🙂

Alrighty, thanks! I’ll get back to you about that Western Union splice!