63 roll about, bushing housing

Stacey Johnson

Acquired a 63 Emerson and have taken apart. Trying to figure if I can repack around bushing or if I'll have to remove rivets and disassemble housing?

If repacking should I use felt washers or will any wicking material work?

IMG_20221224_105234392.jpg

IMG_20221224_105251664.jpg

IMG_20221224_105421957.jpg

• Like 1

you should be able to use felt "string" that you can get at any hobby store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby and cut it to the approx. length you need to go around inside the bearing housing and that should fix your issue. If you have a small jeweler's screwdriver of the standard blade variety, you should be able to pack the felt "string" into the bearing housing without the need to remove the rivets on the bearing housing and removing the bearing housing.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Recently soaked and brushed but I wasn't able to clean in tight spots with out worrying about damaging the winding's. Do windindings need to completely clean to lacquer them?

IMG_20230216_091517017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

no they do not need to be completely clean, i re-varnish motors all the time, I do make sure I blow them out really well, to get the dust and loose debris out, if they are really dirty i'll spray the stator down with break parts cleaner, BUT, you must make sure the stator is completely dry before applying the varnish if you use that method, and you must re-varnish before powering up. the varnish i use is Sprayon EL600 Clear electrical varnish. amazing stuff to work with. i got a case from grainger and it was like $40 for 6 cans.  just soak the stator with the spray, let dry for for at least 12 hrs to fully cure.  varnish does dry to the touch in about an hr, pending on room temp.

EL600_xCan_topline-copy.jpeg

On 12/30/2022 at 9:59 PM, Stacey Johnson said:

Acquired a 63 Emerson and have taken apart. Trying to figure if I can repack around bushing or if I'll have to remove rivets and disassemble housing?

If repacking should I use felt washers or will any wicking material work?

IMG_20221224_105234392.jpg

IMG_20221224_105251664.jpg

IMG_20221224_105421957.jpg

Soak whole housing in naphtha for a week or so. Use compressed air to blow out the displaced old oil after soaking. allow to dry then saturate bearing and felt washer.......... reinstall.
Bearing is self centering  with felft washer under retainer, no need for felt string

Edited by Tony Clayton

Another thought i had, those fans were notorious for having a motor buzz, at least the ones i've seen. but a good soaking in that EL600 will eliminate that, make sure to wear gloves, and do it outdoors of you can the smell is potent

• 2 months later...

Starting to re assemble and curious about wiring? When bought it did not come with outlet plug. I'm questing 2 prong. Should I wire up the same way or in todays world and house electric should I modify in some way.

Thanks for any help.

IMG_20230523_071753500.jpg

IMG_20230523_071456238.jpg