Micarta blade damage on Vader Fan

Will Novitske

Hi all, I just joined this group. It all started with my interest in history, putting old things back into service and a $10 barn find about a year ago of an Emerson 19644 (Shout out to Karolyn Badon who did a beautiful restoration on it). Since then I have acquired  5 more fans. I know virtually nothing about fans other than they plug in (I think). I have been advised by my electrician friend not to go near that sparky stuff. Anyhow, I do like to tinker and decided to join to see if I could learn something. 

Here's my first cry for help: I picked up a Westi (see I'm already getting the lingo) this summer. It's a Darth Vader pedestal fan 12-Qp-3. The blades (probably the wrong lingo...I hope they're not call propellers😁) are Micarta.  One blade is missing a 1 1/8" piece  x 1/4" on the outside edge. How would be best to fix this? I thought about sanding this area down and doing the same to the others so they more or less balanced. I thought about finding a replacement. I even thought about having all new blades fabricated out of a different material like brass. I just don't know the best route to take.

I thank you in advance for your advise. 

Vader fan damage.jpg

So wouldn't the fan almost be the same with equal small amounts trimmed from each blade ? I should think it would look the same except to the most knowledgeable eye.  

Yes, the blade would operate fine with similar amounts taken off the other blades. I would make a pattern of the one blade after you cut it back. You can sand the Micarta down with a rotating sander and then make a template once you are satisfied with the shape. Then use that template to trim the other blades. I would post a bigger picture of your fan on the "wanted to buy/sell" part of the forum to see if anyone has a replacement blade for you. That would be a better alternative than cutting down all the blades.

If it’s fiberglass use masking tape as a form in the back.Masking tape over cardboard if need be.It doesn’t stick to masking tape.Bevel the broke edge some to give fiberglass some purchase.Wear gloves.Filler puddy,or JB weld if you have it around to smooth out the dried fiberglass if need be. Sand it in.Prime,paint.I’ve used just JB weld on smaller chips on Micarta blades.You may even try that if you don’t want to mess with fiberglass.Same process.

Edited by Paul Carmody

Of course I'm reluctant to trim hoping for a replacement to show up. I saw a whole pedestal Vader fan on Ebay with some broken blades recently for a very reasonable  price. It was well over 1000 miles from me so I let it pass. David Kilnapp,  I will take your suggestion about posting a pic with my ad. Being so new to this; can  replicates of these blades be made reasonably? Of course it would need to be all 4 blades. Steel or aluminum would be fine since the original Micarta blades are a flat black. It would be easy to paint to match the original color.  Paul Carmody, JB Weld is my middle name. I suppose it's worth a try and if it doesn't hold...trim away. Never used fiberglass so I see a botch job if tried. Thanks for your suggestions.  

Post script: I actually bought a piece of micarta to patch the missing piece. JB Weld used to fill any irregularities.  If I'm proud of the final after paint, I'll post it here. Thanks all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Final repair. Another question but I'll post as a new topic: I bought a can of  Rustoleum "Paint and Primer" for the blades. Those of you that use rattle cans, do you find the in can primer sufficient or do you prime first. Since these are blades, I'm concerned about build up that may unbalance vs. paint that will hold up to the test of time.

Blade repaired.jpg

Nice repair.The paint you have is fine.The  spray paint these days goes on very thin,it should not have any noticeable effect on balance.Make sure surface is cleaned and abraded properly.I would use 400 grit wet and dry,wet with some dish washing soap mixed in water.Once primer has set you can sand out to clean up scratches and pits which would further reduce buildup.I would use a sandable primer which you may have?Sand primer dry as it can absorb water.As Lane said in other post it would be good to  balance first if you can.

Edited by Paul Carmody