KITCHEN VENTILATION IS BECOMING AN ISSUE?

Tom Zapf

HI EVERYONE...I READ TODAY THE BIDEN ADMINISTRATION MIGHT "BAN" NATUAL GAS AND PROPANE COOKING APPLIANCES FOR INDOORS. I DONT THINK YOURS GETS TAKEN AWAY BUT NO FURTHER SALES? ....INDOOR AIR POLLUTION SEEMS TO BE THE ISSUE. A FURNACE OR HOT WATER HEATER IS ATTACHED TO A CHIMNEY FLUE BUT A RANGE ISNT...PLUS THERE ARE FIREPLACES ALSO THAT DONT VENT? ...YIKES!

I HAVE WORKED VERY HARD TO TIGHTEN UP MY 103 YEAR OLD HOUSE AND PART OF THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE AS THE REST OF THE COUNTRY HAS DONE SO ALSO, THAT INDOOR AIR POLUTANTS DONT DISAPATE AS EASILY . 

I HAVE 2 RANGES IN MY KITCHEN, MATCHING GE UNITS ONE WITH A 5 BURNER GAS TOP AND ONE WITH A 5 BURNER ELECTRIC SMOOTHTOP. BOTH HAVE VINTAGE 1950'S STAINLESS STEEL NUTONE RANGE HOODS OVER THEM . THE FEDERAL SAFETY AGENCY SAYS NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE USE THEIR HOODS. OK IN WINTER  IT IS SORT OF A COUNTER INTUITIVE ACTIVITY TO CRACK A WINDOW AND RUN THE HOOD (SO YOU DONT PULL AIR BACKWARDS DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY) . I USUALLY CLOSE UP MY TWO HOODS AGAINST WINTER DRAFTS AND USE MY WALL SLEEVE PULL CHAIN  FAN (8" CHELSEA BUT MUST BE A REBADGED NUTONE) . THE RANGE HOODS ARE NUTONE SELECT A MATIC WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE HOOD AND CHOSE THE KIND OF FAN UNIT.... ONE OF MINE HAS A STANDARD 8" 4 SPEED 5 BLADE FAN UNIT , THE OTHER HAS A STANDARD 10" 3 SPEED 5 BLADE UNIT.  (YOU COULD CHOOSE A REMOTE FAN UNIT, OR ONE IN THE CABINET ABOVE OR A SQUIRREL CAGE UNIT ALL WOULD WORK WITH THESE "CONVERTIBLE" HOODS) . 

SOOOOOOO I GUESS IN ORDER TO NOT UPSET THE PREZ AND THE FEDS  I WILL HAVE TO GO MORE TOWARDS USING MY ELECTRIC TOP & OVEN MORE IN THE WINTER AND THE GAS ONE LESS (I DONT THINK VENTILLATION AND WINDOW FANS WILL BE AN ISSUE AROUND HERE IN THE SUMMER HAHAHAHAHA) 

JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT! MY OLD APARTMENT HAD A RECIRCULATOR RANGE HOOD ...PRETTY MUCH GOOD FOR NOTHING, BUT MANY MANY CONDOS AND TOWNHOUSES AND APARTMENTS DONT HAVE WORKING HOODS .....APPARENTLY WITH RESTAURANT STYLE STOVES AND GAS TOPS WITH "POWER BURNERS" THIS HAS NOW BECOME AN ISSUE ! CONSUMER REPORTS AND FED AGENCIES ARE TAKING THIS ON ....SO TURN ON YOUR FAN! 

YOUR LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY! 

On 1/10/2023 at 12:11 PM, Tom Zapf said:

HI EVERYONE...I READ TODAY THE BIDEN ADMINISTRATION MIGHT "BAN" NATUAL GAS AND PROPANE COOKING APPLIANCES FOR INDOORS. I DONT THINK YOURS GETS TAKEN AWAY BUT NO FURTHER SALES? ....INDOOR AIR POLLUTION SEEMS TO BE THE ISSUE. A FURNACE OR HOT WATER HEATER IS ATTACHED TO A CHIMNEY FLUE BUT A RANGE ISNT...PLUS THERE ARE FIREPLACES ALSO THAT DONT VENT? ...YIKES!

I HAVE WORKED VERY HARD TO TIGHTEN UP MY 103 YEAR OLD HOUSE AND PART OF THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE AS THE REST OF THE COUNTRY HAS DONE SO ALSO, THAT INDOOR AIR POLUTANTS DONT DISAPATE AS EASILY . 

I HAVE 2 RANGES IN MY KITCHEN, MATCHING GE UNITS ONE WITH A 5 BURNER GAS TOP AND ONE WITH A 5 BURNER ELECTRIC SMOOTHTOP. BOTH HAVE VINTAGE 1950'S STAINLESS STEEL NUTONE RANGE HOODS OVER THEM . THE FEDERAL SAFETY AGENCY SAYS NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE USE THEIR HOODS. OK IN WINTER  IT IS SORT OF A COUNTER INTUITIVE ACTIVITY TO CRACK A WINDOW AND RUN THE HOOD (SO YOU DONT PULL AIR BACKWARDS DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY) . I USUALLY CLOSE UP MY TWO HOODS AGAINST WINTER DRAFTS AND USE MY WALL SLEEVE PULL CHAIN  FAN (8" CHELSEA BUT MUST BE A REBADGED NUTONE) . THE RANGE HOODS ARE NUTONE SELECT A MATIC WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE HOOD AND CHOSE THE KIND OF FAN UNIT.... ONE OF MINE HAS A STANDARD 8" 4 SPEED 5 BLADE FAN UNIT , THE OTHER HAS A STANDARD 10" 3 SPEED 5 BLADE UNIT.  (YOU COULD CHOOSE A REMOTE FAN UNIT, OR ONE IN THE CABINET ABOVE OR A SQUIRREL CAGE UNIT ALL WOULD WORK WITH THESE "CONVERTIBLE" HOODS) . 

SOOOOOOO I GUESS IN ORDER TO NOT UPSET THE PREZ AND THE FEDS  I WILL HAVE TO GO MORE TOWARDS USING MY ELECTRIC TOP & OVEN MORE IN THE WINTER AND THE GAS ONE LESS (I DONT THINK VENTILLATION AND WINDOW FANS WILL BE AN ISSUE AROUND HERE IN THE SUMMER HAHAHAHAHA) 

JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT! MY OLD APARTMENT HAD A RECIRCULATOR RANGE HOOD ...PRETTY MUCH GOOD FOR NOTHING, BUT MANY MANY CONDOS AND TOWNHOUSES AND APARTMENTS DONT HAVE WORKING HOODS .....APPARENTLY WITH RESTAURANT STYLE STOVES AND GAS TOPS WITH "POWER BURNERS" THIS HAS NOW BECOME AN ISSUE ! CONSUMER REPORTS AND FED AGENCIES ARE TAKING THIS ON ....SO TURN ON YOUR FAN! 

YOUR LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY! 

Because this is SO IMPORTANT HUH

APPARENTLY THE FRONT PAGE NY POST SHOWS THE NY GOV TRIED TO SNEEK THROUGH A BAN ON GAS HOT WATER & STOVES AND OIL FURNACES IN HER BUDGET . THE NYC MAYOR HAS ALREADY PUT THROUGH A BAN ON GAS HOOK UPS...OUR NJ GOV WILL BE SURE TO TRY THE SAME 

WHATEVER HAPPENS WE WILL HAVE TO ROLL WITH IT 

2 hours ago, Tom Zapf said:

APPARENTLY THE FRONT PAGE NY POST SHOWS THE NY GOV TRIED TO SNEEK THROUGH A BAN ON GAS HOT WATER & STOVES AND OIL FURNACES IN HER BUDGET . THE NYC MAYOR HAS ALREADY PUT THROUGH A BAN ON GAS HOOK UPS...OUR NJ GOV WILL BE SURE TO TRY THE SAME 

WHATEVER HAPPENS WE WILL HAVE TO ROLL WITH IT 

By the end of the decade (2030) a ban on new sales of appliances that use gas. Nothing about existing appliances at that time.

I AM NOT SURE WHERE THIS IS GOING BUT THE NYC MAYOR ALREADY BANNED NEW HOOKUPS ON A SCHEDULE, THE NY GOVERNOR WANTED LARGE BUILDINGS CUT OFF FROM HOOKUPS AT 2030 BUT SMALLER BUILDINGS CUT OFF IN 2 YEAR ..2025..  THIS IS REGARDING CLIMATE CHANGE, I AM NOT SURE THEY ARE CARING ABOUT KITCHEN VENTILLATION... OH WELL, WE WILL DO WHAT WE CAN WHEN WE HAVE TO ...I WILL RUN MY KITCHEN FANS AND USE THE ELECTRIC MORE I GUESS ESPECIALLY ON DAYS WHEN YOU ARE DOING A LOT (THANKSGIVING AND CHRISTMAS AND SUCH) . BUT IT APPEARS WE NEED TO CRANK UP OUR FANS...GEE THAT WILL BE HARD FOR US FAN DUDES AND DUDETTES ! 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:11 AM, Tom Zapf said:

...THE BIDEN ADMINISTRATION MIGHT "BAN" NATUAL GAS AND PROPANE COOKING APPLIANCES...

That'd absolutely devastate
Asian Cuisine restaurateurs.

Za1Jpc.gif.72513fca42ec7803758a3ab325578a03.gif

Can't wok without flame!

You know, if "they" get the
ban, they'll just move on
to something else.

What'll be next?
  - Using fireplaces?
    - Backyard barbecues?
      - Campfires?
        - Hot water usage?

Incremental encroachment
on freedom...

• Like 2

TRANE, CARRIER, RHEEM, LENNOX, YORK etc. all major gas furnces manufacturers in the US, the most efficient heating source up to 98% afue. How about gas power plants. Soros, Karry and AOC - the energy experts.

Edited by Ted Kaczor
  • Like 1

Hmmmm i wonder if this ball starts rolling will Governors like mine ban propane tanks for your gas grille? Yeeeks ...i am thinking will I have to go to delaware to buy my next gas hotwater  heater? hmmmmmmm the snowball effect with  this could be interesting... in the meantime i used my electric oven sunday instead of the gas one! It was too cold out to run the fan ...brrrrr

This is just my opinion,BUT I think this whole natural gas appliance thing is getting a little out of hand and blown out of portion I can’t see the government banning all gas appliances.I cook with gas on the stove,and my BBQ grill is natural gas,hot water heater and boiler are all natural gas,I don’t like propane or electric for heating,water,or cooking way too expensive and gas burns clean and cooks and heats better !! Just use your hood vent fan when cooking if it vents outdoors like mine does,that’s why we have a hood vent .My hot water boiler is 89 per cent efficient and over 15 years old,hot water heater is 2 years old and efficient.Is our government mandating that we all abandon our gas appliances and switch to electric ? I dont think so since our infrastructure won’t be able to handle the extra electric load since we are supposed to go with all electric cars 🚗 LMAO !! Maybe I’m old school but I’ll stick with natural gas and internal combustion vehicles !! Enough said so I’ll get off my soap box !! 

• Like 2

THIS MORNINGS NEWSPAPERS FROM THE LARGE CITY'S MAYORS MEETINGS SAID THE BACKLASH ON A BUNCH OF PROPOSALS (INCLUDING THIS ONE)  HAS CAUSED THEM TO TAKE A SERIOUS STEP BACK FROM THESE LOCALIZED HOME INVASIONS, SO MAYBE COOLER HEADS WILL PREVAIL, BUT THE LESSON I LEARNED HERE WAS TO MAKE SURE I AM USING MY KITCHEN PULL CHAIN FAN OR ONE OF MY VINTAGE NUTONE RANGE HOODS DEPENDING ON WHICH APPLIANCE I AM USING , SO WE GO BACK TO MY ORIGINAL POST...USE YOUR VENT (I HOPE YOU HAVE ONE!...IF NOT  YOU NEED TO BUY ANOTHER FAN!!!) 

LIKE BUYING ANOTHER FAN WOULD BE TERRRRRRRIBLE FOR THOSE WHO THINK THEY HAVE TOO MANY ...AHEM