1936 Emerson 85641 Roundnose Restoration

Derek Warnecke

I wanted to share the restoration process of this 1936 Emerson 85641 "Roundnose" 56" ceiling fan.  I purchased this fan from Louis Weedman at Fall Workshop last year, and it was one I've been looking for for a while - an early-production Roundnose with the 2.3A motor.  Electrically, it's basically a Longnose, and they were only made like this for 1936 and 1937 before the radical switch to a PSC motor in 1938, and then back to a 1.7A shaded pole motor in 1941.

Here is a video of the completed motor running.  I'll follow-up with some more photos on subsequent posts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Photos are attached. I should have it installed in a few months!  I'll be cleaning up an original set of blades for this fan next.

9.jpeg

1.jpeg

0.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

5.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

6.jpeg

4.jpeg

• Like 5

Derek,  That is a very nice Round Nose. Great finish too! 
I have one but not as nice as yours, mine is a 85641-AN. Can you tell me why this model turns counter clockwise?  I’ve owned mine since the 80’s

1 hour ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

I have one but not as nice as yours, mine is a 85641-AN. Can you tell me why this model turns counter clockwise?  I’ve owned mine since the 80’s

The history of Emerson ceiling fan motors and blade irons is a strange one.  From the earliest Emerson ceiling fans through the 1941 Emerson 85641-AL Roundnose, non-reversible motors spun the traditional counter-clockwise direction and the blade irons were cast iron.  The first Emerson reversible ceiling fan, the 1932 (I think) 48641 Longnose, used stamped steel blade irons pitched opposite of the cast iron brackets.  The motor would spin clockwise for downdraft and counter-clockwise for updraft.  Starting with the post-WWII 85641-AN, both the non-reversible and reversible ceiling fan motors used the same stamped steel opposite-pitched brackets and spun clockwise for downdraft.  This saved costs for sure... you just have to make sure that your J hook and downrod set screws are good and tight so your fan doesn't unscrew itself from the ceiling.

• Like 1