Racine Type 103 10" BB Fan

Russ Huber

Does anyone have this 10" BB stationary Type 103 Racine desk fan? If so, could you please share images of the fan and the badge. This is the 4th fan I have encountered to have a grove worn into the commutator as deep as a valley from heavy use or excessive brush spring compression. This armature goes to White armature for a total rebuild. I am in luck as the fields test healthy.

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

15 minutes ago, Terry Fisher said:

Check your phone for pics.

Terry will post pictures here after he has had his Wheaties, Geritol, Metamucil gummies, and morning massage tomorrow.

OK Russ, I've had all that stuff for breakfast so here they are. I bought this fan a long time ago but have not restored it. Was told when I bought the fan that this model 103 was the last fan manufactured by Racine. Is this true? ....... and what year of mfg.?  Yours sure has a low serial number. 

Racine front.jpg

Racing profile back.jpg

Racine back.jpg

Racine badge.jpg

Racine switch.jpg

Racing motor tag.jpg

Edited by Terry Fisher

I very much appreciate your time and efforts to the both of you. I did not anticipate your model's construction. I need to have Donald Coleman reproduce a badge for me and I think your badge is a later(?) example. If you notice, the little ebay example I posted has the same motor housing casting and components as mine. I am going to have Donald reproduce the badge in the likeness of the ebay example. However, I like the badges on yours better. 

I so far am not able to date these fans through electrical trade. I will make another diligent effort. Thanks again, and if anyone else out there has a type 103 model out there, please post images. 

Notice how the motor housing castings have rounded on your examples. 

Edited by Russ Huber

Russ.................it is interesting how much difference there is in your Model 103 switch when compared to Jeff's  Model 123 switch and my model 103 switch.   

I will at another time try my best to find these examples in electrical trade. I wouldn't expect too much, they are a bear to locate beyond the 16 examples. All switches seen including the ebay example are original. My example best matches the time period of the ebay example based on construction.

IMG_3223.thumb.JPG.b2603759602eb15ad0c7c65384c59a48.jpg

2036212072_Racingmotortag.thumb.jpg.a2674561920875f1b310830484f958ea.jpg

Badge1.thumb.JPG.8c997c64ae32ba4e52a243cf7198925d.jpg

As proof......Need to find advertising for Racine fans 1912 and later.

The best looking guards ever made are the Racines' with the circles.  And also the fan motors/bases are good looking too.

RACINE.jpg

RACINE 2.jpg

Edited by Terry Fisher

3 hours ago, Jeff Lumsden said:

In the Iron Trade Review February 17, 1927....

image.png.c5b18ab101ad02f44bed28bb571db8d1.png

45 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Doubt it very much.  Possibly late teens- more like early to late 20s.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Racine_Belle_City_of_the_Lakes_and_Racin/M0AVAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1

This printed in 1916, stating they manufactured fans.  For me, it's at least 1916.  From what else they had their hands in (various other household electric motor-driven appliances), I don't think it's a stretch to say that they were manufacturing fans before 1916.  Making them at the outset in 1912...I don't know.  I'd like to see it in black-n-white too, so I'm hoping we're able to find something.

Edited by Jeff Lumsden

4 hours ago, Jeff Lumsden said:

Looks like fans as early as 1912-1916..

Doubt it very much.  Possibly late teens- more like early to late 20s.

I misinterpreted you. I thought you were referring to the fans posted at the start of this thread. I still can't ACCURATELY date those later models through electrical trade....yet.

• Like 1