Pin-striping an antique fan motor/base

Floyd Double

Hello everybody! 
I’ve seen some pics of beautifully restored antique fans w/pin-striping around the motor & the cast base. They have been done as a “ring” around these fan parts. I am not skilled @ pinstriping. I’m wondering how to accomplish this.thought about sitting the part to b pinstriped on like a record turntable to rotate it while I would hold a brush still and place a stripe around the motor and/or the base.

Anyone know of a video on how to do the striping?

Thanks everybody, & have an Awesome Day!

Floyd Double

• Like 1

Hey Floyd, I've actually given this some thought recently, as I can see doing this down the road either with paint or even gold-leaf. Anyway, the way I plan to do it is to use pin-striping tape to mark the edges of each stripe. Pin-striping tape has the ability to gently curve without buckling, e.g. with a tapered fan base. Once the pin-stripe tape is in place, I will attach paper or plastic bags to the pin-stripe tape using blue or green tape to mask off everything, leaving the space between the pin-stripes exposed for paint.  Once I paint, I'll remove the mask and pin-stripe tape while the paint is still wet, so the paint won't stick to the tape when removed. I'll probably top it off with a clear coat, as the stripes will be part of my entire paint process. Attempting pin-stripes by hand is way-to-hard for me.

Dennis

• Like 1

I use a Buegler pinstriping tool with the narrowest wheel you can buy for it and a turntable.  I have a little mount rigged up for the Buegler to hold it steady next to the turntable.  The Buegler is designed with a guide arm so this is pretty easy--my mount is a block of wood with a hole drilled in it to hold the guide arm.  So it's just a matter of swiveling the Buegler so the wheel touches the part while I rotate it on the turntable.  Works well.

• Like 3

Hey Guys! I’ve learned a lot so far from u all! I do have an old turntable which I think has the speed 16 rpm. Remember that @ 78 rpm!😂 the special tape & wheel will b my next search on Google. I hope others r learning w/me on this conversation. I hope also some others can share tips as well. 
im a bit of a MacGyver. I’ll definitely share what I can come up w/as well. 
Thanks everyone for sharing!

Floyd Double😀

PS. I don't mean a turntable for records

On 1/25/2023 at 8:52 AM, Doug Wendel said:

I use a Buegler pinstriping tool with the narrowest wheel you can buy for it and a turntable.  I have a little mount rigged up for the Buegler to hold it steady next to the turntable.  The Buegler is designed with a guide arm so this is pretty easy--my mount is a block of wood with a hole drilled in it to hold the guide arm.  So it's just a matter of swiveling the Buegler so the wheel touches the part while I rotate it on the turntable.  Works well.

I should be more specific -- I don't use a turntable for records.  I use a one similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/HomeRight-Spraying-C900086-M-Platform-Projects/dp/B06Y6PW3TH/ref=asc_df_B06Y6PW3TH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198071503086&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=814658881619229672&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023845&hvtargid=pla-349434802219&psc=1

Best thing I found is an OXO brand plastic lazy Susan. The bearings are smooth and it lasts a long time. I also have one in my paint booth to rotate the part when spraying them.  I also use a Buegler tool with One-Shot sign paint. Works perfectly with little experience. If you mess up, mineral spirits will remove the striping paint. 

• Like 1