Rare 14" GE CAGE Restoration

Ted Kaczor

On this project, I worked very long time, to long. I did it because it is a very rare 1899, 14" GE Pancake cage. Worst kind of restoration scenario, all wrap arounds "S" wires joints were deformed and soled loose, every one of the "S" wires had different bends and they were loosely sliding on both rings. Both, back and front rings were deformed badly, all soldering points losse everywhere. Time to time, little by little work was done and after 2 years of busting my hands it finally looks as it should.

100_3162.JPG

100_3161.JPG

100_3165.JPG

Edited by Ted Kaczor
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Ted Kaczor said:

...little by little work was done and after 2 years of busting my hands it finally looks as it should.

Well,...  perseverance
paid in spades!

Nicely done.

• Like 1

Input needed, in order to make proper solder connections I needed to clan every spot for soldering which also got rid of original oxidation (patina). Now I'm thinking to clean, polish and clear cote for preservation and clean consistent look. What you think?

Re patina the brass using a commercial ager.  The 14 inch fans are rare birds. You don’t want it all polished and pretty. It would then be hard to tell apart from a 12”. Polished fans are pretty but so boring. Give me a fan that tells a story…