Brass Drive Rivets For Motor Tags

Russ Huber

Does anyone use brass drive rivets to secure Emerson motor tags? I just pulled a factory set out of an Emerson the other night. They were roughly a tad over 1/16" wide and 3/16" long. They would work slick. I could not locate a source for them. 

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

I've seen these a lot on the later 2X series fans.  Typically they are so robust when you pull them out they are re-usable unlike the brass nails used on the earlier models that break upon removal.  

Never had to find a source for them as a result.

Dan H.

You might try searching for “brass u-drive screws”.   Saw some brass ones on eBay, most other sites were stainless or zinc.

Size “00” seems close to what you (and I) need.  Don’t know if size “0” would be too big.   

6 minutes ago, Steve Cunningham said:

I wouldn’t use them. Very hard to get out. Brass isn’t strong enough. They’re steel, brass plated. Look at escutcheon pins.

Emerson used them made of brass. I got them out without too much trouble. 

3 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

I found 1/16" hammer drive screws from a model train store. I posted the link to them here, and they guys here bought them out. 

Cheers,

Bill

I tried to locate your post on this sight and so far, no go. Can you please repost the link to the source? 

1 hour ago, Bill Dunlap said:

I found 1/16" hammer drive screws from a model train store. I posted the link to them here, and they guys here bought them out. 

Cheers,

Bill

Bill ordered the brass drive rivets and posted the source over 5 years ago from a train collector/restoration enthusiast just south of Milwaukee, WI. I just got off the phone with the guy. He told me after Bill ordered his he got hit up big time by fan collectors here. The guy had those brass drive rivets custom made at roughly 2,500 pieces. He was willing to sell the overage and did so I am sure at a good price to a few handfuls of members here. He is now down to what he claimed was 100+ and was not willing to sell anymore in bulk. I asked nothing from him. I was hoping he could give his source, but they were custom made.

Edited by Russ Huber

On 2/1/2023 at 11:06 AM, Russ Huber said:

Does anyone use brass drive rivets to secure Emerson motor tags? I just pulled a factory set out of an Emerson the other night. They were roughly a tad over 1/16" wide and 3/16" long. They would work slick. I could not locate a source for them. 

s-l500.jpg

I stand corrected. The original drive rivets I pulled from the 29645 tag had a tad over 1/16" stem width and the shaft length was 3/16".  I never checked them with a magnet as they looked like tarnished brass. They are attracted to a magnet. I ran the 1/8" diameter head over my polishing rag and they appear blued, or possibly may have been plated.  

Edited by Russ Huber