Question on high speeds existing on a 1930 GE AK1/AOU 75425 I refurbished

John Landstrom

Posted a pic or two on the 16” GE fan I completed a refurbishment on a while ago.   
I notice (significantly) high speeds on all 3 speed settings.  
The “low” is fast.  The medium is faster yet. And the high speed is super fast sounding like an airplane taking off.  Loud too.

Not being familiar with the norm on these, I was wondering if this is typical for these fans.   I had anticipated the low to be barely moving air but it’s almost like it’s on what I would consider med-high speed for a desk fan.  All three speeds seem to be jacked up to higher speeds that I would think are “normal”.    Issue with the speed control?   Wiring was original and in place when I disassembled it and the wires all went back where they originally were.  

I’d post a video but my internet connection won’t allow large files.   It barely allows me to get on the interweb at all.  

Notes:   
1.   I used tape to ID each of the head wires so I knew where they were connected.  Yes, I replaced them and labeled them like the originals seen in the photo.
2.  Couple of the pics I took are below.  I labeled the one of the speed control with the original wiring configuration.

Thanks for any insight into the issue….if there is one.   It’s obnoxiously fast on all speeds and very loud on high speed making me not want to use it, or show it off.  The switch does function as described (low is the slowest of the speeds, med is next, and high is takeoff speed)  

89151F51-DEAE-4148-A26A-1741B3745DB2.jpeg

8C5BE127-131A-4DC9-BE3B-044BEC94E72E.jpeg

No insult intended toward you, but that fan is pretty straight forward. 2 wire stator in your fan is a shaded pole motor. Your speed coil simply is intended to choke a medium and lower speed. Your connection points appear to be correct. The bad news is the 16" 4 POLE models were used in factories and large rooms where airplanes are needed on a hot day. 

6 pole motor is roughly 1050 RPM full voltage. The 4 pole cooks at roughly 1550 on full voltage.  If your speed choke doesn't offer much speed reduction, oh well. You can use a variac.

No insult taken !   The wiring was pretty straightforward.   I didn’t notice the speed when testing with no blade on it.  
Didn’t know these ran fast like that.  Good to know.

Also good to know there’s something out there to mitigate the issue.  I’ll have to do some research on variac transformers to figure out what’s needed with this type of motor/speed control,   You ever used one?   If so, brand/model ?   

Call me and I will give you a crash course on variable transformers and options. If I don't pick up leave a message for a good time to call you. I will message you my cell#.