Jack's vacation project

David Kilnapp

Good morning from the arctic cold in the Northeast; 18 chilly degrees this morning. I'm sure you remember my young friend, Jack who is one of our younger members (he's 19 now and approaching six feet tall!) Jack brought over a fan that his father picked up in NH. It was in dreadful condition and running noisily. The cage badge identified it as a FASCO arctic aire fan. Jack found a picture of it below. His fan was missing the rear oscillation mechanism and we quickly determined that a prior owner had rewired it and reversed the orientation of the rotor so that the long part was protruding from the front of the case rather than the rear where it would have engaged the oscillator.

IMG_1332.thumb.JPEG.cf1c3017fdfec4f3ba0e0728f90a5443.JPEG

We took the fan apart yesterday and Jack started cleaning all the parts while I examined the stator to replace the worn headwires. Jack mentioned that the fan ran very hot and the reason became apparent when we took it apart. There were many spots on the windings that were bare and uninsulated. We recoated the bare spots with liquid tape and cleaned the rotor and the inside of the stator.

IMG_3060.thumb.JPG.15781f85055480a0a7c7f65ab134d9dd.JPG

IMG_3057.thumb.JPG.d67673b49626d78c054bafd4bb1ec273.JPGIMG_3058.thumb.JPG.fa042449421ec2627f60abfc995aeba4.JPGIMG_3059.thumb.JPG.737f79afe7fff68eb087834468b125de.JPG

Painting consisted of automotive primer and two coats of the correct spray paint which was purchased at our local ACE hardware. We took a trip to see Ron Bethoney (New England Brass) with the steel blade and cage which Jack wanted polished (they were painted as seen in the top picture). Ron is always more than willing to do things for Jack (good guy)!

I put the fan together last night and right away, the push button switch failed so I replaced it with a rotary type switch which you can see below.

IMG_3061.thumb.JPG.7b99a5141b82d792e7560f9a628eaa03.JPG

Jack thought it a good idea to put some rubber feet on the bottom to replace the cork feet which had long since rotted away.

The fan runs well (such as it is) but both Jack and I would love to find the mssing rear oscillation parts. Jack was admiring my AC Gilbert fan which has identical parts to the missing FASCO parts (I gave him that fan to take home with him).

IMG_0681.thumb.JPG.15894244332cfd0f517464b7e0aa781b.JPG

So we'll be looking for the missing parts and welcome any suggestions as to where we might locate them while we wait for Ron to finish the cage and the blade. Thanks for reading this post!

IMG_3062.JPG

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 2

Nice. I don't know the story with that gearbox but have often wondered myself who designed it. Somebody designed it late 20s into the 30s.  I have these fans, but unfortunately no stumps for a donor of this nature.

From the schematic it appears that the end of the spindle should be threaded and neither end of Jack’s spindle is so I’m guessing that a prior owner cut off the end at some point so I’ll be needing a new rotor as well (Steve)

Edited by David Kilnapp