R & M 16” tank.

Rick Eisenbeisz

So I’ve got a R & M 16” tank, I’m trying to get back together, first issue is the armature is turning counterclockwise and the blade that came with the tank is telling me it’s supposed to be turning. Clockwise.   Questions are, are R & M tanks supposed to turn clockwise?  I’m assuming by photos in looking at the answer is yes.  If so, how can I get this stator / windings / to turn clockwise???  Any help / comments are greatly appreciated.  Rick. 

I don’t think so. The motor tag is a R & M motor tag the cage had a flag, some of it is still on the cage. That blade is meant to turn clockwise. But it wants to turn counterclockwise.   I’m aware that all Westy tanks turn counterclockwise, but think all

R & M  tanks and lollipops spin clockwise.  

R&M tanks and Westy tanks are one in the same. R&M simply changed the motor tag and cage badge.

The pictures below are from the R&M tank I just finished. It runs CCW.

Lollipops do spin CW but they have a cast hub vs the stamped hub on a tank.

20230211045850_IMG_0714.JPG

20230211045121_IMG_0703.JPG

Edited by Ron May
  • Like 3

Okay, I get it. All tanks, westys and R & Ms should run counterclockwise. Okay understood.  But an R & M Lollipop, 12 or 16 inch run clockwise, yes???

9 minutes ago, Rick Eisenbeisz said:

Okay, I get it. All tanks, westys and R & Ms should run counterclockwise. Okay understood.  But an R & M Lollipop, 12 or 16 inch run clockwise, yes???

Yes, both sizes of the lollipop spin CW. Not sure why.

Rick. Your 16" R&M has a Westy tank motor and should spin CCW. I'm assuming your other post inquiring about a 16" blade identification is the blade from this fan. If so, you have the wrong blade and need a 16" Westy blade.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:51 PM, Ron May said:

R&M tanks and Westy tanks are one in the same. R&M simply changed the motor tag and cage badge.

The pictures below are from the R&M tank I just finished. It runs CCW.

Lollipops do spin CW but they have a cast hub vs the stamped hub on a tank.

20230211045850_IMG_0714.JPG

20230211045121_IMG_0703.JPG

OMG !! Beautiful Restoration Ron !! On my bucket list to get one.

On 3/1/2023 at 6:35 PM, Doug Wendel said:

Mine goes clockwise as you face the fan.

E73F8A89-E2CC-4AB7-8AA5-BBE9005CB952.jpeg

Doug added a different spin to the conversation.  The direct current R&Ms are clockwise, are Westinghouse dc the same?  

R&M last used Westy tank motors in 1911. After that, they had their own motors. Doug's fan is a R&M motor. Also, Westinghouse DC tanks spin CCW as well as their AC versions.

Thanks Jim, my 110 and 30v R&Ms are clockwise. I don’t have a dc Westinghouse tank to compare…..yet. Definitely on the bucket list!