GE 75423

Randy Pierce

GROWLING on startup, so much so it almost sounds metallic,

Early cast iron form T1 model.  Stator tests ok and fan runs ok, bearings are tight, motor shaft shows no visible wear, almost perfect.  On turn on tho, a big growl until it gets moving along.  Decent clearance for the rotor to spin, maybe visually .010 or thereabouts.  I've tried re-spacing the rotor shims both ways and no diff.  No loose blade rivets either.  Can't think of anything but the windings???  Even tried another rotor and same...  I was going to sell the stator, but better not I think!   Ideas?

8 hours ago, Randy Pierce said:

I was going to sell the stator, but better not I think!   Ideas?

Yes, selling it is far too risky, just send it to me to take the risk. Maybe the stator was meant to be in my dead stator Type AO Form R5.

Russ,The ge fan noise was the rear bearing a bit loose on a perfect shaft.  Knocked it out and machined a sleeve from oilite. quiet now.  Still need a choke coil for this one

23 minutes ago, Randy Pierce said:

Russ,The ge fan noise was the rear bearing a bit loose on a perfect shaft.  Knocked it out and machined a sleeve from oilite. quiet now.  Still need a choke coil for this one

And I was going to start checking my mailbox daily for a surprise. Don't hold your breath on this one, but I am considering selling a 2 star(s) package.  One would be parts with no stator. I strobed the blade on the 6 wing and whoever purchased it retail had no kids. All six wings with the strobe dialed in max. look like one. fact Jack.

IMG_3495.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber

didn't know there was a 6 wing on the small motor frame????   Is it a 6 pole winding.  What would the tag numbers be if so

56 minutes ago, Randy Pierce said:

didn't know there was a 6 wing on the small motor frame????   Is it a 6 pole winding.  What would the tag numbers be if so

It is an oddball. Factory steel 6 wing blade that appears to have been possibly plated. Type AO Form R5. The kicker is it is a basketweave wind with a what appears to be a high slip motor. I clocked it on the strobe at 1300 RPM high, 1000 RPM medium, and roughly 780 RPM on low. 6 pole motors don't run at 1300 RPM, at least I have never clocked 1300 RPM on full current. The medium speed is roughly close to 6 pole motor speed on full current.

GE had another later high slip 6 wing under the category no. 7&777 (78777). There was a stamp over the second digit. It had a salient wound 4 pole motor that ran much slower.

Edited by Russ Huber

Knew none of the winding tech, only that 6 pole fan motors on GE and Emerson run much slower than 4 poles.  Kevin Clark wound me a speed coil for my 21646 Emerson that now runs high 700's on low 1200 ish mid to maybe 1550 hi.  Just perfect.  I asked him if he could build the coil this way, and he did.  He is the "gold standard" as I see it on switch coils for Emerson's.  Won't get much speed variation at today's voltage on a stock Emerson speed coil from what I have seen.  Kevin is the man, period.  He delivered  aesthetic perfection and perfect function.  Love that guy.  How could you get better?  Not happening.  Going to dig into motor tech, fascinating....