A "Modern" Classic! The 77646s from the fifties

Steven P Dempsey

I have one of these, mine is from 1948 I believe if I remember right from the date code on my fan (which was 28.)

They look so unassuming from the front. Turn it to the side, and you can tell it's quiet and powerful. I would love to come across one of these. Seems like such a nice fan for extended use. I have almost all the other "big blade" quiet fans (Poweraires, Vortalex, Zephairs) but these are not as common in nice condition.

Any common issues to look for when buying one of these? My experience with later Emerson oscillators is limited.

1 minute ago, Landon Straus said:

Any common issues to look for when buying one of these? My experience with later Emerson oscillators is limited.

Nothing really - the most common ailment is flaking paint on the blades.  Make sure the oscillator knob shoulder screw isn't missing.

I think I'm up to a half-dozen of these fans, including a pedestal variant purchased from the grandchildren of the original owners.  Quiet, powerful, efficient fans.

19 minutes ago, Derek Warnecke said:

Nothing really - the most common ailment is flaking paint on the blades.  Make sure the oscillator knob shoulder screw isn't missing.

I think I'm up to a half-dozen of these fans, including a pedestal variant purchased from the grandchildren of the original owners.  Quiet, powerful, efficient fans.

Right on. Thanks. Flaking blade paint, and caps/wiring can easily be dealt with. They seem like nice, reliable forever fans. I've been getting alot of use out of my little 26645 lately, and its got me wanting more Emersons.