GE Furnace Ventilation.

Russ Huber

Would you believe when I found that BMY in that frame I thought it was a cobble together and threw out what it was mounted into.

GEFurnaceFan.v1.jpg

fans 1 1411.jpg

That must be a rare one Russ.The south didn’t,don’t,use furnaces.Very rare to have basements for that matter.I have no idea how a home oil furnace works.I can see how adding a blower to one would be a big improvement.May be the start of heaters made with blowers?

22 minutes ago, Paul Carmody said:

That must be a rare one Russ.The south didn’t,don’t,use furnaces.Very rare to have basements for that matter.I have no idea how a home oil furnace works.I can see how adding a blower to one would be a big improvement.May be the start of heaters made with blowers?

Emerson09.jpg

53 minutes ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

It looks different than the one in the advertisement.

Yes. But that steel framework and mounting deserves more respect than I gave it at the time.

37 minutes ago, Paul Carmody said:

Yours looks like an SMY or BMY.So does it predate the 1909 advertisements?

The reason I posted is I recently came across the GE example scanning books above in electrical trade. The image I posted of the BMY in steel framework was something I found years ago I remembered. It was a BMY. I can't recall if it was a centrifugal start or not. For a furnace ventilator application it would be logical it was a centrifugal start.

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Between the 1880s and 1950s there was a furnace called a gravity furnace (aka octopus furnace) that was in use in residential and commercial buildings that were usually coal fired (in areas where coal was prominant) and then when coal fired furnaces started going out of style they later on converted them to run on oil or natural gas, and a gravity furnace would of been what a blower fan setup like this would of been used in.

My house that I live in now (that I recently bought) which was built in 1921 still had its original gravity furnace in it yet when I moved in, but it had been converted to run on natural gas back in 1957, but there was never a blower assembly added to it.

1921 Gravity Furnace.JPG

On 3/9/2023 at 5:58 PM, Paul Carmody said:

Interesting!Is it still in use?

No, I had replaced it with a modern 98% Efficiency Gas Furnace, I would of kept the original furnace intact, or tried to see if there was a way to install a more efficient gas burner into it, had I not seen that the previous owners of the house before I bought it paid almost $400 a month to heat the house using that furnace. 🤯

Plus I was kind of pressured into replacing it with a more modern furnace by my parents even though I had a friend at church that worked for a local P & H company that said they could of seen about getting a more modern gas burner installed in the furnace (a 80% efficiency burner) and then installed a separate AC condenser unit up in the attic for the house, or some other form of AC unit that could of been used with the original furnace setup, but my parents and my aunt said I would of been better off buying a brand new furnace and been done with it. 😐