Help needed to remove back of Diehl 16512

Nicholas Van Heest

Can anyone offer any advice as to how to remove the back of my Diehl fan model 16512? The previous owner chipped away at it as you can see the damage. I have everything that I can see removed from the motor housing. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG-2292.JPG

IMG-2291.JPG

IMG-2290.JPG

IMG-2286.JPG

IMG-2289.JPG

IMG-2288.JPG

IMG-2287.JPG

That was a great design but a poor choice of casting material. That's the fate of I'd bet 80-90 % of those oscillators. One of their poor aging attributes is the fact that pot metal subtly expands as it ages, wedging itself into the places where it was originalloy easy enough to install. Until one of the computer geniuses takes an interest to print these in aluminum, they will remain largely an army of stumps. I've got several that I'd like to fix and have gotten a few stumps with intact gear cases. But, I've never tackled the job, not wanting to break the few extra intact gear boxes I've found.  You would mose surely have to knock the box out from the inside. Very carefully with a small punch using small taps with the hammer work your way around the perimeter of the box being sure that the motor housing is suported where the gearbox would be free to drop out were you successful at the venture. Using a heat gun to warm the motor housing after having left the unit in the freezer over night,  may cause enough expansion of the cast iron to break loose the tight bind between the iron and the pot metal. This is how I've rehearsed in my mind to accomplish what you are wanting to do, but I have not taken the time to make it happen...yet. Someone else may chime in with better ideas or an actual testimony of success.  Good luck with this project.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

That was a great design but a poor choice of casting material. That's the fate of I'd bet 80-90 % of those oscillators. One of their poor aging attributes is the fact that pot metal subtly expands as it ages, wedging itself into the places where it was originalloy easy enough to install. Until one of the computer geniuses takes an interest to print these in aluminum, they will remain largely an army of stumps. I've got several that I'd like to fix and have gotten a few stumps with intact gear cases. But, I've never tackled the job, not wanting to break the few extra intact gear boxes I've found.  You would mose surely have to knock the box out from the inside. Very carefully with a small punch using small taps with the hammer work your way around the perimeter of the box being sure that the motor housing is suported where the gearbox would be free to drop out were you successful at the venture. Using a heat gun to warm the motor housing after having left the unit in the freezer over night,  may cause enough expansion of the cast iron to break loose the tight bind between the iron and the pot metal. This is how I've rehearsed in my mind to accomplish what you are wanting to do, but I have not taken the time to make it happen...yet. Someone else may chime in with better ideas or an actual testimony of success.  Good luck with this project.

I'll be more than happy to help out....let me send you back the collar oscillator parts back to you first....need to order a couple collar prints to send to you end of month.  If you have one intact and one already with the back out....that would be ideal so I can study it.  As for the price....aluminum is half the cost of printed steel.  I've talked to George Durbin about the R&M Knuckle...it is  already drawn but steel print is not worth the fan.  I believe aluminum will be fine for that part since the original is made out of pot metal anyway.  I have one whole week to play around starting Friday after work.  Will talk to you later.  Getting ready for work.

17 hours ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

Thank you so much for the advice!

On 3/16/2023 at 10:08 AM, Louis Luu said:

I'll be more than happy to help out....let me send you back the collar oscillator parts back to you first....need to order a couple collar prints to send to you end of month.  If you have one intact and one already with the back out....that would be ideal so I can study it.  As for the price....aluminum is half the cost of printed steel.  I've talked to George Durbin about the R&M Knuckle...it is  already drawn but steel print is not worth the fan.  I believe aluminum will be fine for that part since the original is made out of pot metal anyway.  I have one whole week to play around starting Friday after work.  Will talk to you later.  Getting ready for work.

Geoff, it worked like a charm. Thank you.

Louis, was this message meant for me? I'm interested in having a new gear box made if that's what you do. Please reach out if so. Have a great day.

IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

1 minute ago, Nicholas Van Heest said:

Geoff, it worked like a charm. Thank you.

Louis, was this message meant for me? I'm interested in having a new gear box made if that's what you do. Please reach out if so. Have a great day.

IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

It was to Geoff....since he hand multiple, I figured he would not mind if I borrowed an intact one to study and a broken one to study it further.  He is probably busy.  Printed aluminum price right now is fairly cheap and very cost effective.  Price for printed metal is going down fairly fast due to competition and demand.

From what I can see on the picture, this piece should not be that difficult to draw but I need a good one to do the measurements from.

I'll talk to Geoff later.  I got this week off and brainstorming on projects.

8 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

It was to Geoff....since he hand multiple, I figured he would not mind if I borrowed an intact one to study and a broken one to study it further.  He is probably busy.  Printed aluminum price right now is fairly cheap and very cost effective.  Price for printed metal is going down fairly fast due to competition and demand.

From what I can see on the picture, this piece should not be that difficult to draw but I need a good one to do the measurements from.

I'll talk to Geoff later.  I got this week off and brainstorming on projects.

Awesome! Thank you so much!

Hey, I read that.  There were 3 different styles of that gearbox. I will scout my resources and send out an intact stump and an empty one to you Louis and see what you think about it. Maybe Nicholas and a host of others, myself included, can then rescussitate some of these broken old fans lying around.

• Thanks 1