Very cool fan

Bill Dunlap

I ran across this picture of a very cool fan while just cruising the internet. Anyone seen this one before? Looks to me like contra-rotating blades. 

Dang, I'd like to have one like this.

Cheers,

Bill

b3283f8f313d8b6f3df9deb46adbe62e.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks. 

Went down the bunny burrow on blade design. I came up with this video. Of course, I thought about the application of this design on fans. I'm not good enough to fab up one of these. This would be a job for 3D printing.

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Bill Dunlap

17 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

Thanks. 

Went down the bunny burrow on blade design. I came up with this video. Of course, I thought about the application of this design on fans. I'm not good enough to fab up one of these. This would be a job for 3D printing.

Cheers,

Bill

I thought about this particular design as well.  It is a new design with supposed whisper quiet and efficient design that was originally tested as a water propeller.  Someone took the idea and used it on a drone.  It would be interesting to have one printed in aluminum as a fan blade. 

I'll take two of those for a contra-rotating two blade fan. I know, keep dreaming....

Cheers,

Bill

If you're interested in tiny fans, these would work and a very low price, too. 3-4 inches. 8 for 20$

image.jpeg.349b9d330c81a950fdfeb3fcd3333bec.jpeg

• Like 1

How would a motor spin two blades in opposite directions?  The angle of the blade can be fix to blow forward by having one spin counter clockwise and the other one clockwise.  But how would you make them spin and blow air in the same direction forward?

Contra-rotating, also referred to as coaxial contra-rotating, is a technique whereby parts of a mechanism rotate in opposite directions about a common axis...

I would add two more bevel gears...one on the side of that green shaft and another one at 90 degree mounted to the motor so the motor would sit in the back.  Looks fun and I have this Tailfun fan.  The propeller would look nice in the housing.

Bypass the green shaft that comes out the side.  Extend have the shaft motor drive the purple bevel gear.  This would be an easier design.

image.png.2df403556f1e7f2d211726b139cd606f.png

Edited by Louis Luu

19 hours ago, Bill Dunlap said:

I ran across this picture of a very cool fan while just cruising the internet. Anyone seen this one before? Looks to me like contra-rotating blades. 

Dang, I'd like to have one like this.

Cheers,

Bill

b3283f8f313d8b6f3df9deb46adbe62e.jpg

Amazon.com: CRM2413A Brushless Metal Motor Contra-Rotating Motor CRM2413 1300KV for Airplane Models w/Prop Adapter Two propellers Work with Two ESC Bring Strong Power Supply,w/Large Thrust for RC Flying Models : Toys & Games

The problem with regards to contra-rotating blades is the extreme level of noise. However, if you couple this mechanism to two toroidal blades, that just may subdue the noise to an acceptable level. 

I feel an invention coming on that may need an intervention.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I think I have three bevel gears in my stash.....oh, no.

Edited by Bill Dunlap
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Bill Dunlap said:

The problem with regards to contra-rotating blades is the extreme level of noise. However, if you couple this mechanism to two toroidal blades, that just may subdue the noise to an acceptable level. 

I feel an invention coming on that may need an intervention.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I think I have three bevel gears in my stash.....oh, no.

Bill I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

1 hour ago, Bobby Gaines said:

Bill I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Hey Bobby, why not order one of those mighty mouse DC contra-rotating motors and give Bill some competition? If you do, I bet there will be some bright brass involved. 🙂

The problem with those motors from Aliexpress is that the slowest one spins at over 6k rpm. eek. I'm not having something that spins that fast in my house. Now, if they are permanent magnet, brushed DC motors, they may respond well to a resistance coil for speed control. So, maybe...

If someone could print up a couple of toroidal blades in brass around 8 inches, I'd be all in. I need one in CW and one in CCW.

Cheers,

Bill

31 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

The problem with those motors from Aliexpress is that the slowest one spins at over 6k rpm. eek. I'm not having something that spins that fast in my house. Now, if they are permanent magnet, brushed DC motors, they may respond well to a resistance coil for speed control. So, maybe...

If someone could print up a couple of toroidal blades in brass around 8 inches, I'd be all in. I need one in CW and one in CCW.

Cheers,

Bill

Will call you later....working on a present for Ben Guegain's daughter "Emersyn".