Century help

Alex Koh

If that rear cap doesn't screw off by hand, then no. I have owned both of those same model fans in the past & both of them turned into basket cases.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

If that rear cap doesn't screw off by hand, then no. I have owned both of those same model fans in the past & both of them turned into basket cases.

Do you remember which way the cap unscrews?

I'm not too sure where to go from here. I started chipping away at the rubber gasket that in between the cap and tried soaking it in penetrating oil and the cap won't budge.

Sucess. Turns out the rubber trim was the problem, after picking away at it and sitting the back cap in a pool of WD40 it broke loose. The cap is still perfectly intact.IMG_3893.jpg

12 hours ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

you should run to the store and buy a lottery ticket.

Sadly that luck may not work again for the second century. Somebody tried opening it with a tool and damaged the cap a bit. I’ll still give it a try in the future but I’m expecting it to fall apart.

I avoid the Centurys except for the 5-speed models that are all cast iron and steel without the usual decomposing pot metal parts.   Sometimes you'll come across a pot metal 3 speed century that is in good condition.  Check to see that you can remove the rear gearbox cap before buying and look closely for any cracks in the pot metal.

17 hours ago, Steve Stephens said:

I avoid the Centurys except for the 5-speed models that are all cast iron and steel without the usual decomposing pot metal parts.   Sometimes you'll come across a pot metal 3 speed century that is in good condition.  Check to see that you can remove the rear gearbox cap before buying and look closely for any cracks in the pot metal.

I can now see why people really like the early models.

For some reason I can casually move the front bearing back and fourth withA some force. But it doesn’t ever slide out of the housing.