Emerson Jr Bent, can it be fixed without damaging the head?

Tim Babcock

I am repairing an Emerson JR. Once I tore it down I see that the spindle for the head is a bit bent. I don't think I can remove the spindle. It looks like its flaired in place.  I don't want to damage the head by banging on the spindle with a hammer. The head may be cast iron and if I crack it I will have to source another one. Anyone ever done a repair like this? If so how  did you do it? Thanks.      

DSC08527.thumb.JPG.44008a4f486e0650a964e50353481155.JPG

Edited by Tim Babcock

It is screwed in, but hard to get out as it is pinged to keep it from unscrewing.  I take it out & straighten it.

I had success with heating the stem of the spindle with a torch as it went into the housing real hot, and straightened slowly and deliberately with a hammer. I had to be careful of the thin part at the base though. Afterwards I had to peen the top that showed through the motor housing as it was loosened, but all was well.

so if its screwed do you drill the penned part a bit to make it come out easier of do you just force it by unscrewing it?  How do you do it without leaving tractor marks on the spindle?

Someone has taken this one apart before. The spindle came right out. I put it in a vice and the threaded side had a dimple in it. I used a pointed cold chisel to take about 80% of the bend out. Leaving the threads untouched. Polished the spindle and will use locktite to reinstall it. Maybe stake it in once installed.

TIm, you are on it.  I've done those by grinding away the peened metal inside the housing, and yes it should then easily unscrew.  Soft jaw the stem in a vice, heat it if you have the means, or just straighten it.  Best to never hit the stem directly with a hammer, but use maybe aluminum sheet as your hit-ee piece.  I then chuck the stem in the lathe for final runout correction... Loctite it back in place