1900s Antique Fans Mixed with Mid-Century Modern Decor?

Richard Daugird

What is your opinions? I am remodeling my house and I want to showcase my many restored/pristine original fans, but I also like mid-century modern style furniture, but mid-mod may not fit with what I want to do. I have already decided to vault the ceilings so I can mount ornate Bourbon Street belt driven ceiling fans, so I am starting with a fresh slate. The house is divided into one 30'x30'-ish open space which will include the kitchen, and a closed off half with bedrooms, bath, and laundry. The entire open space will be gutted, including the kitchen area, and be all new. But old-style, all wood paneling of some sort, heavy 6"x12" trusses in the ceiling, a bar , counter tops will likely be wood of some type, and wood floor. There will be a small pool table as well. Very little if any drywall or paint, probably none. Possibly a "tavern" motif.

Edited by Richard Daugird

I've found it best to compartmentalize areas to different styles of fans.  My house is an early '80s contemporary with two distinct living areas on opposite corners of the downstairs floorplan.

The living room has a high vaulted ceiling that continues into the dining room and presents as more open and modern.  It is furnished with a Silver Swan on an Art Deco-styled table, a six-blade Emerson 32" ceiling fan in the entry and a DC Emerson 56" in the living room.  My rule here is no brass, with an Art Deco focus.  There is some MCM influence with a repro Eames Lounge Chair and a slatted wood coffee table and side table.

The den has an 8' ceiling and is more traditional and "cozy".  Flanking the fireplace are a series of display shelves where all of my oldest brass blade fans are displayed - Pancakes, a Century skeletal, old Emersons, etc.  It also features more ornate antique furniture than the contemporary living room.

BBD86702-EE23-479E-B863-843454160049.jpeg

CC382726-B6B8-470E-866F-AB49857B8302.jpeg

D6617B49-8FF7-462E-A343-29868A920AC9.jpeg

Edited by Derek Warnecke
  • Like 1

We have a mid century room with all the deco/machine age fans and other era decor items. It's my wife's office. They match up well and it's nice to have them together to show the progression. The living room is eclectic though, we have mid century furniture with brass era fans, they look really good together. The tripod sits on a 60s stereo console for instance. A mid century lamp to the left and the copper flashed GE cigar lighter to the right. The bronze GE sign is over the fireplace. To me it all looks just fine together.

I have very few fans that aren't brass, and by few I mean only a few dozen! Not many of them are super nice. I don't think the mid-mod thing is going to work for me, as much as I like it, it will just clash. I guess I could just rotate a few brass fans at a time for display and keep the rest in the "fan room".

Edited by Richard Daugird