16" 1908 BMY?

Don Tener

I haven't posted here in a long time but this fan is an odd one. It has all the features of an early 16" 1908 BMY but no centrifugal switch. From looking at it I am not sure that it ever had one. The head wire looks to be original. The back plate on the motor has the screw holes for the switch and so does the rotor but to me it looks like it never had one mounted? What do you guys think? Oh and it runs great on all 3 speeds like it is.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

https://www.afcaforum.com/forum1/62059.html

https://afcaforum.com/view_topic.php?id=42828

I'm glad to see that fan... I had one which took some detective work and conferring with experienced Members to even confirm what it was... struts mounted on the face of the motor cap, hence an early version BMY having serial number 391954... but... a taller yoke, and base of a style only made the first catalog appearance of those fans, 16- inch only. As I remember it, Kim broke the BMYs down into four groups, with these the second variant of the earliest versions... head wire ran into a front vent hole on mine, and no centrifugal switch... which, to my memory again, Russ said GE likely did something experimental or crazy, certainly unexpected, with which he was unfamiliar...

My fan came with 12-inch gear, a mix from several manufacturers, and it was only the base & stem, and the unlikelihood of an earlier motor being mated to a later yoke, which made me tumble to the actuality of it being 16-inch originally.

image.thumb.jpeg.b71a88aad1095417b8bd176f75d17c39.jpeg

I posted in the Old Forum, which brought very little interest, or none at all. I'm relieved to see another one... Check out the catalog image from the second hyperlink above, Don, you'll notice it's identical. Out of curiosity, what's serial number on yours, and any other identifying characteristics?

image.thumb.jpeg.6fa0e6eccbcda43bd993d543b127fb93.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3b7ddfb66bc31ffe2f8f5c9b0bea6e52.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3e6f88580920bb31d26160b156f75e82.jpeg

What you see in the photo is a drop-ring cage and blade I had on the shelf, and 12-inch face-mount struts I purchased initially back when I believed it to be a standard 12-inch BMY. Once I was certain of its being a 16, I removed the gear, and never did connect on the correct blade for it...

The fan went to Chad Baker two years ago at Tom's NJ Meet as a parts fan.

As a side note, have a look at one of the struts originally affixed... I thought somebody did something clever with storm door parts, and I'm lucky it didn't get pitched or lost, since I later found its use...

image.thumb.jpeg.72b591f829b1d413e2aafc2dde5ef34e.jpeg

Edited by Steve Rockwell

The serial number is 376188. My struts are all brass and look like normal GE struts. Also look at the back of my motor housing. I thought someone drilled the 3 holes in the casing but after seeing one just like it on fanparts.com I think it's something GE did and is original

IMG_0002.JPG

DSCN3164__32800.jpg

My bet is transitional has nothing to do with your fan's internals (non-centrifugal stator). You have the early 3 rivet spider on your blade along with other component characteristics that an early centrifugal start BMY has. My bet is your centrifugal start mechanism failed and your original stator got removed and updated.

IMG_0001.thumb.JPG.0d3fecca4587d4c84255e00341abfa75.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

One I restored and moved on years ago. I powder coated the base and trunnion. All original 16" BMY with centrifugal switch and 3 rivet wing hub spider.

G.E.BMY08 003.jpg

G.E.BMY08 054.jpg

G.E.BMY08 018.jpg

G.E.BMY08 062.jpg

G.E.BMY08 073.jpg

G.E.BMY08 077.jpg

G.E.BMY08 081.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

Another one earlier with centrifugal I had in storage.  I was hoping it was closer to your serial dating. GE announced dumping the centrifugal start mechanism in their 1911 fan motor bulletin. The only transitional 2 to 3 wire head cord models I am aware of had top mount flat profile brass struts.

IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

3 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

My bet is transitional has nothing to do with your fan's internals (non-centrifugal stator). You have the early 3 rivet spider on your blade along with other component characteristics that an early centrifugal start BMY has. My bet is your centrifugal start mechanism failed and your original stator got removed and updated.

IMG_0001.thumb.JPG.0d3fecca4587d4c84255e00341abfa75.jpg

At first I was thinking the same thing. But after posting it here I found an old thread where Kim Frank refers to the 1908 BMY being made without a start switch. He said he owns 2 like that. His post #'s are 36 and 39 in this thread ( https://afcaforum.com/forum1/11430.html  ) As a matter of fact one reply was to a question of yours. And now Steve Rockwell has had one as well. That's a pretty big coincidence to have 4 of the same year same style fan with no switches on them?

3 minutes ago, Don Tener said:

At first I was thinking the same thing. But after posting it here I found an old thread where Kim Frank refers to the 1908 BMY being made without a start switch. He said he owns 2 like that. His post #'s are 36 and 39 in this thread ( https://afcaforum.com/forum1/11430.html  ) As a matter of fact one reply was to a question of yours. And now Steve Rockwell has had one as well. That's a pretty big coincidence to have 4 of the same year same style fan with no switches on them?

I read the link you provided again.  Here is what is hard to justify them as legit. There is a hell of a span of manufacture and fan motor component change between 08 and 09 models and 1911 when GE announces the elimination of the centrifugal switch.

1910 GE Bulletin  General Electric Fan Motors, Bulletin 4719 - miSci - Museum of Innovation and Science - New York Heritage Digital Collections (oclc.org)

1911 GE Bulletin  General Electric Fans, Bulletin 4806 - miSci - Museum of Innovation and Science - New York Heritage Digital Collections (oclc.org)

Read the second paragraph below about the centrifugal switch in the 11 fan motor bulletin. Top mount struts are seen in the 10 fan motor bulletin.

default.jpg

Notice the 16" stationary blade hub spider rivet pattern on the image taken from the 1910 GE fan motor bulletin. Notice swivel and pivot trunnion. The introduction of top mount struts.

default (1).jpg

IMG_0001.thumb.JPG.0d3fecca4587d4c84255e00341abfa75.jpg.70acdb41d962e1b96ba41548c9b1580b.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber