International Circulator

Russ Huber

Has anyone ever seen one of these animals other than the one in this post? It has a monster Ballentine motor hidden inside.  The advertisement is credited to Mike Kearns.

260321055_4609027132549705_1611509428467290403_n.jpg

260634399_7201710289854016_8946652791235803592_n.jpg

186300719_InternationalAirCirculators.thumb.jpg.fd182a0b0770cec646a59e66d687d569.jpg

The monster Ballentine motor in mine is dysfunctional, and the die cast bearing holders are a cracking train wreck. Thanks to help from Joey Katona, I have an unused vintage 1/10th HP Dayton/Grainger motor coming that I have to do modifications to mount it in the housing to get her back up and running.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2023 at 2:24 PM, Russ Huber said:

The monster Ballentine motor in mine is dysfunctional, and the die cast bearing holders are a cracking train wreck. Thanks to help from Joey Katona, I have an unused vintage 1/10th HP Dayton/Grainger motor coming that I have to do modifications to mount it in the housing to get her back up and running.

20230404_113523.jpg

20230404_113545 (1).jpg

20230404_113602.jpg

IMG_3975.JPG

10_101_wrinkle_web__22658.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

I spotted this one on the web for sale down in southern Iowa. I had a dealer friend down there who was coming up in my area to vend. I had him pick it up for me. 

Curiosity was killing the cat so to speak with this one for me. What was inside that monster tin can motor housing? This entire line of mid 30s St. Louis International circulators would have had Ballentine motors in them. I can't save the motor in this one, it is too far gone, the pot metal rotor supports front and back have deteriorated and fractured beyond repair. On top of that the stator needs to be rewound. When I am done, the fan will once again maintain factory construction appearance and 3 speed function with a new motor of adequate horsepower. 

It can go to a new home for what I have in it and some labor fee when I am done. The old motor will come with it. I think this is one of one of these Ballentine motor International models? I have never seen another like it. If someone has another model pictured in this advertisement, please post it. It would be awesome if you have one with a functional Ballentine motor.

International in the mid to late 30s must of worked out a deal with Russell Electric Co. of Chicago for the Ballentine motors. Earle Ballentine was VP of Russell and designed the motor.

1499073864157619904-02071224 (storage.googleapis.com)

186300719_InternationalAirCirculators.thumb.jpg.fd182a0b0770cec646a59e66d687d569.jpg.df5a7ae9558d560809bff45586a48222.jpg

260321055_4609027132549705_1611509428467290403_n.jpg

IMG_2357.thumb.JPG.93c8509216612cdd45216b2948901d17.jpg

US2071224-drawings-page-1.png

Edited by Russ Huber

Thanks to Mike Kearns for the advertisement image. It would be nice when time permits for Mike to do a compilation history of the International of St. Louis circulator line. There is no doubt in my mind he has archived images. 🙂

2 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

That is one strange motor!

Two separate windings, 4 shades for 4 poles. In order to release the two separate windings the inner laminations must be PRESSED out. It cost me years ago just shy of $300.00 to rewind one of those larger Ballentine motors for a rare model. The experienced motor man that did it locally told me not bring back another. Winding the coils is a piece of cake, getting the coils out and the inner lamination stack pressed back in is the fun part.

If you are looking to buy an early Russell Electric or Fresh'nd-aire circulator with Ballentine motor, better damn well be sure the motor is intact and functional if you want a functional model.

Mike Mirin called me a year or two ago asking where I had a Ballentine rewound. I told him where and wished him the best of luck. 🙂

fans 1 914.jpg

fans 1 923.jpg

fans 1 916.jpg

Ballentinerebulit1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

The guy that brought it to me I know thought I was nuts to actually pay money for it.  Lol.  🙂

When I realized the original motor was a trainwreck, I just couldn't scrap the rest. It took some time, but I finally located a vintage motor appropriate for it brand new still in the box on the web.  I picked up all the stainless-steel hardware to slap it together last night. I have to fabricate front and rear motor bearing oil tubes.  Next step is putting together the 3-speed pull chain levolier switch for it. I have the stuff, just need to clean and rewire it. 

This is one of the most challenging circulator projects I have ever done. It is no mystery to me why so few, if only the one exists.  It literally takes 2 people (4 hands and patience) to assemble the fan head with guard. My brother and I did this yesterday. The motor frame with motor/speed control/levolier, front cast cover, stamped rear motor cover, and guard have to be assembled aligning holes on each at one time.  It's coming together and looking much better than when it came to me, but I have a machining issue obstacle in the way of the last step to finish it. I anticipate next week I should have pictures.

Edited by Russ Huber

The rotor shaft diameter on the Ballentine motor was an unusual 27/64", or .422 diameter.  I purchased the new Dayton motor because it had a 3/8" shaft diameter. I took the blade to a local machinist today and had him bore out the original unusual Ballentine shaft diameter size from 27/64" to 7/16" on the blade hub. This way I was able to order and use a slotted shaft reducer bushing with 3'8" ID and 7/16" OD to mount the blade securely to the 3/8" shaft. 

IMG_4012.JPG

6L100_lg__07313.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had a pedestal version back in the day.  Can’t recall who I sold it to though.

4 minutes ago, Paul Pierson said:

I had a pedestal version back in the day.  Can’t recall who I sold it to though.

Hey Paul, 

Your timing with this post kind of set me back. I just delivered the countertop model to a family member of the new owner/member in Wisconsin yesterday to be stored until his next visit. The new owner is from out of state but comes to visit family in Wisconsin.