Is this correct for a 24666?

Steve Butler

I picked this up today.  Pretty rusty but it has a ball detent oscillator.   I thought the 21666 was the last to use it.  I would be really surprised if someone changed it back in the day.  The fan has the stamped steel hub, not the earlier cast hub.  Maybe Emerson hired someone from GE that was putting on any left over parts he could find.  What say the brain trust?  

E66E38E9-82E7-4360-B90C-E7F9D69849EE.jpeg

40303F85-2B84-4FED-A8AC-B5BA04FE1DCA.jpeg

The fan is correct. The ball detent (ratchet case) was in use up until the early 1919 embossed speed number 27xxx models. The 24666 was transitional. The early 24666 models started with BB/BG, cast hub, brass struts.

27 minutes ago, Steve Butler said:

Thanks so much for the information Russ.   Glad it’s correct.  👍

Steve, there are a number of 24666 examples that have surfaced with stamp steel blade hubs. I am sorry, but I may stand corrected involving your blade being correct. I am not 100% sure when the cut off was for the cast hub blade desk and bracket oscillators?? Emerson data supports the last year of manufacture for the 24666 was 1918. Now just when Emerson made that transition from cast hub to stamped hub...........??  Late fan motor season 1918? Definitely the stamped hub was in 1919 on the oscillators. Anyone know for sure?

We have found a number of Emersons with stamped hub blades that definitely should have cast hubs because the original cast hub fractured and was replaced with the later stamped hub.

Edited by Russ Huber

Steve, I should have known better when I posted, but you have a prize none the less. The only way to validate the possibility of late production 24666 models with stamped blade hub is a number of examples found with the hub and spider painted in factory black enamel. The 27xxx models to follow in 19 were stamped hub/spiders with black enamel. If the 24666 hub/spider has any factory matt brass paint, it is with no doubt a replacement blade for a fractured original cast hub.

Finding a Emerson with an intact ball detent (ratchet case) is a feat in itself. Give yourself a pat on the back.

1917-19 Emerson monthly editions.  The images in these Emerson published editions appear to follow annual fan motor change/progress. I can't so far see any documentation supporting the cast iron hub to stamped steel hub, but the 17-18 desk and bracket desk fan images support a cast iron hub. 1919 images with the introduction of the 26xxx and 27xxx type 12" and 16" AC models now support stamp steel hubs.

Emerson17-1.jpg

Emerson17-2.jpg

Emerson18-1.jpg

Emerson18-2.jpg

Emerson19-1.jpg

Emerson19-2.jpg

Dang Russ you’re working overtime.  The hub has black paint on it.  I’ve been trying for three weeks to buy another one from someone local.  I’m curious to see its combination of parts.  

3CFCCAB0-86EE-4930-A62A-9F8438C2FE9F.jpeg

4 hours ago, Steve Butler said:

Dang Russ you’re working overtime.  The hub has black paint on it.  I’ve been trying for three weeks to buy another one from someone local.  I’m curious to see its combination of parts.  

1917 was major for transition of the Emerson desk fans. You would find the introduction 24666 in 3 flavors, the earliest was the brass guard/struts with the previous molded badge (using up old stock), the second was the brass guard/struts with stamped badge, the third was the steel guard/struts with stamped badge. All 3 variations would have had the cast iron blade hub and ball detent (ratchet cast) oscillation adjustment.

1918 24666 type models would have been steel guard/struts with cast iron hub blade and ratchet case oscillation adjustment. What I was hoping to achieve is to VALIDATE the use of only the cast blade hub in 1918, and the stamped blade hub was a 1919 introduction. I wanted to lay this one to rest. I, so far, can't validate it despite the use of the Emerson monthly documentation. Emerson must not have thought the blade hub change to be of any great importance to make mention of it. 

Here is the book link below for the 1917-1921 Emerson monthly editions. Have at it, maybe I missed something.

The Emerson Monthly - Google Books

Notice the Emerson stationary 19646 (with exception of the 19645) with cast hub discontinued in 18 was on the market in 19 dumping remaining stock.

19646-18.jpg

Did anyone keep track of what options were on what serial number? I have a 24666 stump and would like to bring it back to life. Just don't know what blades and cage I should be trying to source. 

I've owned two 24666 fans that I recall.  Both had cast hubs and steel guards.  One of them had remnants of a ball-detent oscillator, but it's now a continuing-adjustment type, just because that's what I had on hand.

5 hours ago, Patrick Ray said:

Did anyone keep track of what options were on what serial number? I have a 24666 stump and would like to bring it back to life. Just don't know what blades and cage I should be trying to source. 

The prize really is when you find one in original state. Stan Adams has a first generation 24666 BB/BG if memory serves me right. I think his has the narrow base as well?  

A cast hub blade is correct 1917-18 no matter what. Ratchet case (ball detent) oscillation was factory throughout their manufacture time period 17-18. Steel guards are seen on images dating 17.  You could use a brass guard with stamped badge for 1917 models. Only the first introduction models in 17 had the cast brass guard badge.

Fact. These models are nice, but not rare. The facts are many of them got legit Emerson replacement parts down the road at a repair shop. The later oscillator wheel is a far better deal for longevity than the vulnerable ratchet case.