Emerson 21646 fan blade and hub repair or replace?

Scott Braswell

I have an Emerson 21646 with a broken hub, blade has minor bends at tips. Does anybody in the group repair hubs to help keep fan as original as possible or is it even worth it due to damage? Any recommendations or suggestions would greatly appreciated. 

D5FBD225-84DD-41BC-AC93-733B0DF1C2CA.thumb.jpeg.c087ac28ef08a72c9cd645f8ffcfaa03.jpeg9B1639F8-8DD3-425E-B502-2EBA4CCE126B.thumb.jpeg.1ecd2ac22601b74edafea8ae2849bb4b.jpeg64BBD084-BD74-4108-AD8E-54B95FB8699D.thumb.jpeg.50c10f787cd71bf4b0c3b4df3219d088.jpeg13AC9000-9212-4D09-81D9-7550DC939861.thumb.jpeg.56ed7c89ce244b409dd1528dccb3b33d.jpeg1F870638-CB78-4E8E-BC27-C27EFF37221D.thumb.jpeg.ee1caabdc699ce43c31e2931f5b24cea.jpeg

Remove rivet of course, and tho difficult to maintain original alignment after some chamfering, cast iron can be brazed.  Lots of even heat over the entire piece.  The riight procedures would net a permanent fix

1 hour ago, Randy Pierce said:

Remove rivet of course, and tho difficult to maintain original alignment after some chamfering, cast iron can be brazed.  Lots of even heat over the entire piece.  The riight procedures would net a permanent fix

Thank you Randy any chance you know anybody skilled at this?

High speed on that fan is roughly 1550 RPM. So after you weld the wing back on and have it running in your home, just don't tell your wife how you fixed it. If the weld failed, and the wing did let go from the hub, you'll know without a doubt.  Fact Jack. 🙂

• Haha 1

Scott and Russ,  I would never say Russ is anything but right of course.  I would consult a quality weld shop in your area on this.  Brazing cast has to be done where the cast is heated red evenly all over and only the fluxed brass gets melted into it, and then cooled slowly.  since it is 4 wing, could be clamped 180 degrees across in orig position in a vise and then carefully drilled or chamfered or both for the brass to get a grip on.  No question the right thing is to find another cast hub undamaged, but???

• Like 1

Or buy a new blade set from Jerry Bravi. Unless you can do the repairs yourself, you’ll likely have just as much into it. 

• Like 2

I affected a repair on a Trojan hub once utilizing a sheet metal cut-out the same shape as the fingers, then brazed it all together. it worked, and I think it was safe, but it was a less than optimal repair in my estimation. Replacement is definitely the way to go.

image.thumb.jpeg.abf68ec9aa6f6e255ac9f1648f8b7fbf.jpeg

Edited by Bill Dunlap
  • Like 1

I appreciate it and agree with everyone as purchasing another one is the logical solution. I had already spoken with Jerry Bravi before posting to the group and got his advice as well as the option to buy a reproduction from him. I know Jerry’s work is undoubtedly amazing, just wanted to see if I had a slim chance to keep it original. No worries, thank you for all the help. 

• Like 2

Always  something to learn, and some of the members have all kinds of talent, and offer fantastic services.  To start a topic will surely generate many avenues towards a sensible fix for just about anything.

Hate sounding like such a big fan nerd but I value and appreciate being a member of AFCA and it’s members, best hands down!

• Like 2