Who Made It?

Russ Huber

I love these little guys. Very well constructed. This one saw very little use, the commutator is like new. It is the R&M 3500 marketed Western Electric.

Edited by Russ Huber

It comes in 2 flavors, model 3500 with cast in housing cavity for oil soaked wick lubrication, and model 3504 with oil cups. And..........it was offered in 32 VDC for the farm plant.

3500f.jpg

R&M 3500 AC DC 8in Fan.jpg

fans 1 5740.jpg

I’m working on an all black fan and my son saw it and said,I like that!Its all murdered out.
The young guys call an all blacked out car that.

Edited by Paul Carmody

No pot metal. Base is cast iron, motor housing is cast iron, The blade is heavy stamped steel sectioned at the hub. The stator and armature are quality made.  Model 3500 on the left, model 3504 with oil cups on the right. 

The AC and DC selections were intended for the circuit you were on. The DC selection was intended to compensate the increased RPM direct current would create using a small wind of resistance wire in series. In the image below I used a half wave diode to do the same and bypass the resistance wire. On AC current the resistance wire or diode serves as a nice second lower speed.

image (2).png

fans 1 5740.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

4 hours ago, Paul Carmody said:

I’m working on an all black fan and my son saw it and said,I like that!Its all murdered out.
The young guys call an all blacked out car that.

That’s right all murdered out is the slang for all blacked out. I have Emerson 29668 with a later black blade and it’s all murdered out. 

• Like 1

The most common problem I see with these little fans is their getting knocked over / knocked around over the last 100 years & breaking the brush holder off the back of the motor. I'm thinking that some day one of the fan craftsmen will figure out how to replace that part and bring a whole fleet of those little things back into service & entertainment. One other observation... the switch in the base is visually identical to the switch powering the little brass & brass 6"  2800 R&M when U find one of those missing a switch. I've got the need to test that observation but yet not the time to do so

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Who made it and what year did it go to market?

WE.JPG

WE-2.JPG

The fan came from Dr. Hench's estate. It was passed to me from a well-established elderly credible collector friend in the Rochester, MN. area. 

Philip S. Hench – Biographical - NobelPrize.org

c_P2AVKYeeuaB3TIFxgtFkM8zZiQWUZa79JYeVVkFfU.v1 (1).jpg

Edward Kendall, Ph.D., third from right, and Phillip Hench, M.D., far right, shared the Nobel Prize for discovering cortisone.

Philip-Hench-Cortisone.jpg

content.png

Edited by Russ Huber

On 3/31/2023 at 6:57 AM, Geoff Dunaway said:

The most common problem I see with these little fans is their getting knocked over / knocked around over the last 100 years & breaking the brush holder off the back of the motor. I'm thinking that some day one of the fan craftsmen will figure out how to replace that part and bring a whole fleet of those little things back into service & entertainment.

Actually, you helped me in the not-too-distant past with a brush holder on another example, and you are Johnny on the spot with that weakness which I failed to mention. The original brush holders have square channels. A simple way to go about reproductions would be a Delrin stock insulator machined properly with a round hole brush channel drilled for those talented machinists out there. There is some machining modification needed on the wired end of the brush holder, but nothing serious.

Edited by Russ Huber

I have the AC DC version and the 32 volt DC version. Agreed, these are great running and constructed fans.

22 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

The original brush holders have square channels. A simple way to go about reproductions would be a Delrin stock insulator machined properly with a round hole brush channel drilled dead center, no brass channel, for those talented machinists out there. There is some machining modification needed on the wired end of the brush holder, but nothing serious. There is a brass conductor insert that the spring butts up to on the wire end of the brush.

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber

• 2 weeks later...

To preserve the original DC-setting RPM reducer resistance wire wind on the switch I simply disconnected it and replaced it with a modern half-wave diode. On AC current the fan now has 2 speed settings of roughly 2200 RPM and 1550 RPM. And no, the fan does not "scream" like the 6" Polar Cub or the 6" GE. 🙂

The blade was originally factory painted black over COPPER FLASHING. Being the black enamel on the blade was in rough shape and diminished, I soaked it in parts cleaner 2 days. I washed off the remaining enamel to exposed the thin coating of COPPER FLASHING. I carefully polished it by hand to give the blade a matt copper finish.

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber