Whiz Pop

Bobby Gaines

Well it finally happen, I went crazy! What happen I was working a third 360 Whiz fan and almost finished the pot metal gear box crumbled. I started messing with it put stationary rear housing on it, then just for grins I put a piece of cardboard inside the cage and it took off.      

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 3

If you are able to tilt the head on this, it may revolve without the vane on the principle of precession alone. More or less angle changes speed.

Very pretty fan.

Cheers,

Bill

Interesting! Still tiring to wrap my brain around it. Like I said at beginning this going to a 360 fan with a belt drive and it evolved in to this. I rolled the vane the other side thinking it would change directions but it did not. It would only revolve in direction of the torque. I guess I do not understand fully how the vane fans work switch directions. I am thinking it has to do with the counterweights.   

Very nice Bobby. Here's an original German made 360 oscillator. Point up, goes one way, down the other. Has a cool solid wire brush system in base. Tighten set screw on neck, it's stationary. Bought 20 years or so ago. 1706502285_IMG_20230401_1000081082.thumb.jpg.88e7e7821a939dadd10a1c29c3c236a4.jpg

• Like 1

Vane fans are very tricky to set up. They need to be mounted absolutely flat. I have a laser level that helps with this. A factory made stationary fan without head tilt is helpful as any tilt from level affects the operation. If you do have head tilt and oscillation issues like failing to return in one direction, then a bit of tilt can correct that or make it worse.

The vane on your fan is probably unnecessary if what you want is 360 rotation. If so, then you can adjust the speed with the amount of heat tilt, without resorting to a brake to control speed.

Cheers,

Bill

T

19 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

Vane fans are very tricky to set up. They need to be mounted absolutely flat. I have a laser level that helps with this. A factory made stationary fan without head tilt is helpful as any tilt from level affects the operation. If you do have head tilt and oscillation issues like failing to return in one direction, then a bit of tilt can correct that or make it worse.

The vane on your fan is probably unnecessary if what you want is 360 rotation. If so, then you can adjust the speed with the amount of heat tilt, without resorting to a brake to control speed.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I have better idea how they operate.