How do you folks reduce shipping costs for parts?

John Landstrom

I don’t have a business account (I’m not in business) and have been looking at USPS priority boxes for shipping.  GEEZE !  $11 to send a small part?   That’s outrageous and defeats my intent to sell my GE AK1 parts for a reduced price to members here.  Some folks are asking for single screws and such but (to me) it’s not cost effective when you take into account shipping.   3 bucks for a screw and $11 for shipping??   B.S. 

just wondering what you folks have had success with shipping small parts inexpensively.  

I ship small parts frequently for $5 give or take a few cents.    Use a very small box and simply ask for cheapest shipping. 

7 hours ago, John Landstrom said:

I don’t have a business account (I’m not in business) and have been looking at USPS priority boxes for shipping.  GEEZE !  $11 to send a small part?   That’s outrageous and defeats my intent to sell my GE AK1 parts for a reduced price to members here.  Some folks are asking for single screws and such but (to me) it’s not cost effective when you take into account shipping.   3 bucks for a screw and $11 for shipping??   B.S. 

just wondering what you folks have had success with shipping small parts inexpensively.  

If you ship Priority Mail you're paying for their box. I sell some items on EBay and use Amazon Bubble Envelopes they send parts in turned inside out for items that are durable. USPS is getting more expensive all the time.

• 1 month later...

Look into www.pirateship.com 

They're a broker that makes labels for UPS and USPS. I've been using it for a while and there's substantial savings to be had over going to the post office or UPS store. All you need is a home printer and a scale for weighing your packages. I use a little kitchen scale for most things and then my bathroom scale for bigger/heavier boxes. 

Posted (edited)

When I ship small parts like for example the rear bearing covers I put them in a padded 6x9 envelope and send 1st class... CA from here is about $5.25! And to NY about the same... everywhere else is $5... Sent USPS 1st class and you get tracking number!

And I can live with that.. 

Geo...

Edited by George Durbin

On 5/26/2023 at 1:02 PM, George Durbin said:

When I ship small parts like for example the rear bearing covers I put them in a padded 6x9 envelope and send 1st class... CA from here is about $5.25! And to NY about the same... everywhere else is $5... Sent USPS 1st class and you get tracking number!

And I can live with that.. 

Geo...

By far the best shipping method for small parts for now.  I used that same method the last 2 times I shipped small parts.  FYI - The dollar stores sell the padded envelopes 2 for $1.  I throw in a little extra padding around the item to be safe. 

First class weight limit is 13 oz. Gets there about the same time as priority mail. For larger parcels keep the size under 1728 in2, or 12x12x12" or any combination of measurements that stay under that. One inch over and the price doubles.

Searching online I found a site called “Pirateship”.   Looks like a place where you can buy postage cheaper than the post office.

Anybody ever heard or tried them ?