Westinghouse Ceiling fan

Anthony Lindsey

Someone added a newer Hunter switch housing. Should have a snap switch. Also missing the hanger adapter, but those aren't too hard to find.

That one is machined for 12 lighting adapters, 3 groups of 4 at different lengths to make a pretty dramatic lighting effect for a big room with a tall ceiling. Most motors are machined for only four lights.  Get your creative juices flowing and show us a picture of that fan all blinged out with 12 lights.👍

Well........unfortunately I missed this one.   It was $50 but when he finally replied it was sold.

One I restored about 10 years ago.  Luckily, mine was plumbed for only 4 lights making light placement far easier to determine.  Heavy fan but quiet and powerful runners.

P6099839.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 8:21 AM, Geoff Dunaway said:

That one is machined for 12 lighting adapters, 3 groups of 4 at different lengths to make a pretty dramatic lighting effect for a big room with a tall ceiling. Most motors are machined for only four lights.  Get your creative juices flowing and show us a picture of that fan all blinged out with 12 lights.👍

Wow, I had not noticed the 12 lamp holes before.  Thank you for pointing that out.  These Western-Electric/Westinghouse/Graybar fans are really awesome, even though they are built inside-out.  

I'll post some pictures when it's all done.  

16 hours ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

The fan is back on Offerup for $200 now.

I've paid for it, but don't have it in hand yet.  Perhaps there's a scam going on? 

On 4/22/2023 at 9:26 PM, Anthony Lindsey said:

The fan is back on Offerup for $200 now.

Early ones came with factory brass spiral down rods. Years ago, I auctioned this on ebay fully functional. I let the auction run its course and it sold for an astronomical $75.00. Naturally, I quit my day job and immediately booked a flight to the Bahamas and drank Mai Tais. Looks like this seller is seeking the dream as well.

fans 1 4452.jpg

fans 1 4479.jpg

On 4/13/2023 at 12:16 PM, Anthony Lindsey said:

Thanks!

It appears to be all brass.   Normal?

Brass plate at best over cast iron. Westinghouse made these for years, good fan, they are out there in numbers.

On 4/23/2023 at 2:47 PM, Garret Scott said:

I've paid for it, but don't have it in hand yet.  Perhaps there's a scam going on? 

Well I have it now.  It looks really good, still has probably 95% of the plating, but the plating is brass looking, not copper.  Also, it's complete, with canopies, down-rod and original blades/irons.   It definitely looks like the one in the listing, with 12 lamp holes, and I just have to comment, this seller went all-out on packing.  I mean he not only put tons of bubble-wrap, but also cut boards to fit the box and made cylinders to hold the fan in the middle, and then glued it all!  After having several cast-iron fans arrive broken over the years, this is so refreshing!  

This will be my 3rd Westinghouse to restore.  They seem like great fans, and like most of the old oil-bath fans, so very powerful. 

I realize that pretty much no one here will recognize me, as my old account apparently no longer works, so I had to rejoin the forum (about 4 times... ugh), but I've been into the ceiling fan restoration since the 90's, so I'm not a newbie, but I'm not expert either.  

KIMG0910.JPG

KIMG0911.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 12:03 AM, Levi Mevis said:

Fandolier anyone? 🧐

The creative wheels are turning...

34 minutes ago, Garret Scott said:

The creative wheels are turning...

depending on how high up you mount the fan you could get a bunch of those 1920s vintage chandeliers and take the socket holders from them and just mount them around the bottom of the fan in those light socket mounting holes and then you have your "fandolier".

Just get 3 chandeliers like the one pictured below (which is actually the picture of the original chandelier from my dining of my house, that I rewired), take the light socked hardware off of them and mount them onto your celing fan (the mounting hardware is the same size as the mounting holes on your fan.)

953902634_1920sChandelier.thumb.JPG.747421f599d2e6895eaec480ee35638d.JPG

Grand Brass has rope brass tubing. Those threaded holes are 1/8-27 threads. For the holes you can use brass plugs.

12 hours ago, Steve Cunningham said:

Grand Brass has rope brass tubing. Those threaded holes are 1/8-27 threads. For the holes you don’t use, use brass plugs.

Screenshot_20230528-031252_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e66b2c12ed994cb6ec840cafa2ba92b2.jpg

The "⅛" and "P" refer to
a 'nominal' ⅛" ID pipe.

Edited by Jim Kovar